JOB TITLE: Circulation/Cataloger Manager
DEPARTMENT: Circulation/Technical Services Department
REPORTS TO: Director
FLSA STATUS: Non - Exempt
This is a full time position under the direction of the Library Director. This position is
responsible for managing the Circulation Department and Library Clerks/ Pages, as well as
overseeing the cataloging functions in Technical Services. Develops implements and
enforces library cataloging standards. Responsible for developing budget for technical
services functions. Work with staff from other departments as needed to provide quality
service to the Library in conformance with Library policies and procedures and professional
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Masters in Library Science or MLIS degree from an ALA accredited institution
• Two (2)years library experience in cataloging
• Computer technical experience in cataloging in OCLC and library Integrated System
• Must have extensive computer knowledge with MS programs and type 40 wpm.
• Attend workshops and meetings to keep current in cataloging processes and
• Troubleshoot cataloging computer problems and other technology equipment
problems in the library.
• Teach cataloging skills and computer skills to others.
• Supervise the work of Lead Circulation Clerk, Bookmobile Driver, Page and other
• Must be willing to work Saturdays and evenings when necessary, though not on a
• Must be able to attend meetings outside the library
• Ability to read and comprehend, in English, communicate in an effective manner both
verbally and written with library patrons. Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus
• Coordination and implementation and supervision of all cataloging procedures.
• Perform and supervise the processing of all new library materials.
• Prepare original cataloging records on OCLC; review preliminary original OCLC
• Check MARC records imported into the TLC system and make necessary corrections;
correct other error in database when identified.
• Perform copy cataloging and classification duties.
• Create and maintain the name and subject authority files
• Train, supervise, evaluate, and discipline, clerks as assigned for library duties.
Page 1 of 2
NORTH CHICAGO PUBLIC LIBRARY POSITION DESCRIPTION
• Maintain computer record and perform regular back-ups of records.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential to job performance.
• Conduct all library business in a professional and cooperative manner
• Arrange for maintenance of office machines, prepare orders for office supplies and
submit to the Director.
• Ability to work independently and effectively.
• Assist in the selection of new video, audio, and CD purchases.
• Open and close the Library on rotating basis.
• Answer questions and assist patrons, as requested.
• Assist the Library Director in the development of departmental goals and objectives
and serve on various internal library committees
• Maintain tidy and well-organized work area, and desk
• Act as Coordinating Librarian in any emergency situations.
• Take on special projects and perform other work as determined by the Director.
• Attend meetings and other continuing education events as required which may require
evening or weekend attendance.
• Keep current in cataloging issues and polices by reading profession journals and
other material, including technology literature.
• Perform other duties as may directed from the Library Director.
• Must be able to lift and carry 20 lbs.
The North Chicago Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified
applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, military or veteran status (except
dishonorable discharge), disability or any other status protected by law.
This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the
Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu
of any of those described and duties are subject to change as requirements of the job
The omission of a duty does not exclude it from the position if the duty is similar, related or
a logical expectation for an individual to perform as part of the job responsibilities or if
necessary to assist the Library to provide services to the public under changed or unusual
IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 3 OF THE FAIR LABOR STANDARD ACT THIS
POSITION IS NON EXEMPT FROM OVERTIME.