The Berwyn Public Library seeks a bilingual (English/Spanish), energetic and creative individual to coordinate literacy programs. The ideal candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills, work well as part of a team, and have a strong background in literacy and community outreach.
- Represents the library and promotes literacy practices within the library and at schools, park districts, community events, etc.
- Helps to develop, implement, and promote departmental and library programs, such as ELL and literacy programs, including developing flyers and displays and creating social media content.
- Coordinates volunteers and tutors as needed.
- Develops training sessions and materials for patrons, staff and volunteers.
- Builds partnerships with local literacy organizations.
- Researches and writes grant proposals to fund literacy programs.
- Performs other Outreach Services duties as assigned, e.g. outreach storytimes and homebound services.
- Attends relevant professional development seminars, workshops and webinars.
- BA or BS from an accredited college or university or equivalent library experience.
- One year of course work in either early childhood education, adult literacy, ELL, or equivalent library experience.
- Ability to speak, write and read Spanish required.
- Excellent customer service skills and a commitment to providing quality service.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and to adapt communication style to a diverse audience.
- Ability to work in a team environment and resolve problems in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to adjust work schedule to meet various demands of meetings and staffing including the flexibility to be able to work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Requires experience using computers and the ability to search the Internet.
- Ability to read computer screens, type accurately, lift 30 lbs. and move about staff and public areas.
- Must have full gross motor functions (bend, stoop, twist, push, pull) and good hand dexterity.
- Broad knowledge of various genres and subjects.
- Valid driver's license required.