Job Title: Youth Librarian
Status: Full Time
Schedule: Weekdays, some nights and weekends
Reports to: Library Director
A professional position responsible for the provision of reference, readers' advisory services, and collection development for all formats of children's and young adult materials. This position is also invested with making professional-level library decisions requiring considerable knowledge, skill and ability in every phase of the public library field, particularly relative to youth materials and services.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Directs and supervises the operations of the Children's and Young Adult library services including programming, collection development and collection maintenance.
- Coordinates Children's & YA service operations with other library services and functions.
- Provides exceptional Reference & Reader's Advisory services primarily for Children's & YA users.
- Creates offsite programs that encourage literacy and library use.
- Assists in promoting library use, especially programs and services of the children's service.
- Evaluates and selects materials for library acquisition.
- Establishes best practices for collection development and maintenance.
- Practices exceptional fiscal management, and reporting skills.
- Assists in drafting Children's & YA library service policy, as assigned.
- Serves as the authority on children's service.
- Represents the library on local, state and national committees.
- Pursues alternative funding opportunities for programs and materials.
- Creates and maintains methods for tracking program attendance, costs and other relevant data.
- Attends conferences and conventions regularly.
- Actively collaborates with colleagues in library and educational fields.
- Actively participates in Continuing Education programs.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public library functions.
- Considerable understanding of needs and abilities of children and the available library materials and services.
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of major library services.
- Exceptional abilities in oral and written communications.
- Exceptional ability to administer activities for children's library services.
- Considerable ability to supervise the work of others.
- Considerable ability to develop short and long-term plans for Youth library services.
- Good ability to make decisions in an environment of limited resources and competing claims.
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies and the general public.
Education and/or Experience Requirements
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree (any field) and 3 years' experience in public library work, with progressive responsibility in Children's & Young Adult services.
Preferred: MLS or MLIS from an accredited college or university plus at least one year of public library experience.