Education: Master's in Library and Information Science. A combination of relevant education and experience can be substituted in exceptional cases.
Experience: Two years experience working in a public library. Supervisory experience preferred.
Physical/Mental: Must possess organizational ability, communicate well, and supervise and work well other well others.
Must be able to supervise personnel of all ages and skills. Must be able to work well with children, teens, and adults. Must be familiar with relevant library equipment and materials. Must be able to communicate clearly with staff and patrons.
Library employees must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 lbs. They must be able to reach high library shelves and bend, as needed. A stool can be used, if needed. They must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervision, training, scheduling, hiring, and evaluation of Circulation and Technical Services staff, including pages
- Participate in management meetings
- Participate in strategic planning and policy development as needed to enhance the mission and goals of the Library
- Develop best processes and practices for the Circulation and Technical Services Department
- Supervise technical services and circulation equipment and records
- Participate in professional development opportunities
- Gather, analyze and report statistical data and reports as requested
- Assist Director in creating annual budget
- Assist Director in determining library space, furnishing, and equipment needs
- Provide service to patrons at Circulation and Reference desks
- Other duties as assigned
Supervision: Reports to the Director
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Director, Washington District Library