Position available for individual with knowledge of and experience with various building systems and general repairs, including but not limited to: HVAC/boiler, plumbing, fire systems and overall maintenance functions. Schedule is fairly flexible. Can work any combination of days/hours for up to 16/week, primarily during library operating hours, starting as early as 8 am.
Supports the overall mission of the library by insuring the library building is in operating order. Responsible for inside/outside maintenance and upkeep of the library building, grounds and equipment, directly or as overseer as specified below. Supervises outside vendors and contractors as specified below.
1. Schedule and oversee annual inspections for systems in building (backflow, electrical/generator system, HVAC/boiler, plumbing), fire alarm, sprinklers, fire extinguishers, including approving bills related to these tasks. Communicate the scheduled inspections to Administration. Original bills, receipts and invoices must be presented to the Business Manager.
3. Schedule and oversee repairs/preventative maintenance for elevator and sliding doors in building, including approving bills related to these tasks
4. Coordinate snow removal and parking lot maintenance.
5. Schedule and oversee repairs/preventative maintenance in the area of masonry work for building, interior and exterior lights, exterior signs, roof work, carpentry work, moving or adjusting heavy furniture.
6. Schedule and oversee carpet cleaning, tile floors & windows.
7. Provide Administration with technical support/advice on maintenance issues for mechanical systems in building.
8. General ground maintenance in coordination with the gardener/landscaper, including but not limited to lawn mowing, shrub trimming, and minor tree trimming.
9. Oversee annual installation and removal of exterior winter lights and interior winter decorations.
10. Participate in semi-annual facility walk-around.
11. Maintain maintenance equipment and tools in good repair.
12. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. High School diploma plus minimum of five years appropriate skilled trades experience.
2. Solid understanding of required maintenance and repairs for a public service building.
3. Computer literate – Microsoft Office knowledge
4. Knowledge of proper maintenance procedures; HVAC systems/computer programs
5. Knowledge of standard building systems, equipment and tools
6. Proficiency with hand tools and ability to make repairs
7. Ability to interact with staff members
8. Problem solving aptitude with strong organizational, customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
9. Available to work evenings and weekends as needed
10. Ability to pay attention to detail and work independently
11. Ability to carry out oral and written instructions
12. Must have valid driver's license; insurance and access to a vehicle
Competency To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
1. Operate building machinery and equipment utilizing safety precautions.
2. Ability to follow instructions and respond to management direction.
3. Respond to internal and external customers with appropriate business etiquette.
4. Ability to execute good judgment, while following procedures in support of the library policies.
5. Ability to efficiently prioritize routine and emergency responsibilities.
6. Maintain a safe environment for public and staff.
7. Demonstrate a working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
1. Preference may be given to candidates with trade courses and specialized training in computerized HVAC systems.
2. Valid driver's license and a clear driving record for the immediate 2 years preceding application and proof of active auto insurance.
3. Commitment to a flexible work schedule including on-call emergencies.
1. Required to see, walk, sit, bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk and hear regularly to successfully perform all duties.
2. Physical dexterity to bend, reach, push, lift and carry heavy containers (up to 75 pounds) during a work shift.
3. Physical dexterity for janitorial and maintenance duties such as change light bulbs, utilize manual and power tools, custodial equipment, climb ladders and stairs, carry trash and shovel snow in various weather conditions.
4. Tolerate exposure to fumes, airborne particles, outdoor allergens and cleaning chemicals.
5. Tolerate exposure to differing temperatures internally and externally.
6. Ability to read, write and communicate fluently in English.
7. Dexterity to perform tasks on a computer, lap top, iPad or other electronic device regularly.
8. Visual acuity sufficient to read keypads, labels, e-mails and documents.