The Reference/Technical Services Librarian works with the Library Services Manager to maintain the print collection of the library, assist with administrative tasks, and use print and electronic resources as needed to respond to information requests from attorneys and other members of the Firm. The position is part-time at 21 hours per week.
· Maintain periodicals, including newspapers, magazines, and newsletters according to our established retention policies
· Process new books and supplements for inclusion in the library's print collection
· Shelve books and straighten the library as needed
· Respond to document retrieval requests by obtaining copies of cases, statutes, articles, or other documents as needed, using all available print and electronic resources both within our library and in public, academic, and law libraries
· Initiate interlibrary loan requests when books are needed from outside libraries
· Advise attorneys and other members of the Firm on using library services and resources, performing computer assisted research, and locating books and periodicals within our collection
· Assist with research requests as assigned
· Support administrative tasks such as submitting invoices to accounting for payment, ordering books, and resolving problems with missing supplements or books received in error
· Open and sort all incoming library mail, log each piece in our serials check-in database, and distribute according to our established procedures and routing lists
· Distribute office copies of court rules books and other handbooks used by our attorneys
· Establish and maintain a network of external information resources, such as libraries, associations, information companies, and government agencies (e.g., Special Libraries Association, American Association of Law Libraries, etc.)
· Participate in the evaluation and recommendation of new publications and research services to include in Firm's Library Services department
· Occasional full-time coverage for Library Services Manager
· Assist the Library Services Manager with other library or Firm-wide projects as needed
· Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS) or Information Science (MLIS) from an American Library Association (ALA) - accredited institution or equivalent experience preferred
· 3+ years of technical services library experience; must be in a law firm, corporate law department, or law school library
· Experience with ready reference; must be in a law firm, corporate law department, or law school library
· Comprehensive knowledge of library principles and practices
· Must be proficient in EOS
· Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office and web-based user interfaces
· Proficiency in research databases, including, but not limited to, Westlaw, Lexis, Bloomberg Law, Cheetah, HeinOnline, and other databases
· Proactive; able to demonstrate initiative and manage multiple priorities in a demanding, fast-paced, detail-oriented environment
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at all levels, both within the organization and with outside contacts
· Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish concise, detailed information in a variety of formats
· Strong troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-up skills
· Ability to retrieve and distribute library materials, written documentation, files, and office supplies, including the ability to routinely lift and or move up to 25 lbs.; this includes the ability to push carts of books and periodicals, and the ability to retrieve and replace objects from shelves of up to 8 feet high
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.
Freeborn & Peters LLP is a full-service law firm with national and global capabilities headquartered in Chicago, Illinois with offices in New York City, Tampa, Florida; Richmond, Virginia; and Springfield, Illinois. Freeborn & Peters is always looking ahead and seeking to find better ways to serve its clients. It takes a proactive approach to ensure its clients are more informed, prepared and able to achieve greater success – not just now, but also in the future. While the firm serves clients across a very broad range of sectors, it has also pioneered an interdisciplinary approach that serves the specific needs of targeted industries. Freeborn & Peters is a firm that genuinely lives up to its core values of integrity, caring, effectiveness, teamwork, and commitment, and embodies them through high standards of client service and responsive action. Its lawyers build close and lasting relationships with clients and are driven to help them achieve their legal and business objectives.
For more information, please visit www.freeborn.com.