Are you energized by getting out there in the community and making new friends and connections? Love to ham it up for a school assembly to promote Summer Reading? Just as comfortable performing storytimes at a daycare as you are discussing maker resources with high schoolers? If so, the Grayslake Area Public Library District is looking for a creative, engaging and organized outreach library assistant to help us develop and deliver our growing youth and teen outreach services and we'd love to have you on our team.
Education: LTA or Bachelor's degree
Experience: 1 – 2 years of experience working with children in a library or equivalent setting. Experience in public speaking required and project management highly desirable.
Benefits: Paid holidays, pro-rated vacation, sick, personal days, and mandatory participation in IMRF. Optional life insurance, optional participation in deferred compensation plan.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Builds and maintains effective working relationships with teachers and staff at a variety of organizations, including schools, businesses and other public libraries.
- Plans, organizes and implements library programs to increase the interaction and communication between schools and the library to ensure more effective utilization of library resources.
- Represents the library and presents programs at community events, including STEM nights, literacy nights, and community-wide events.
- Collaborates with Youth Services staff and Teen Librarian to plan and present outreach visits to daycares, preschools, primary schools, and secondary schools.
- Gives tours of the library to school and community groups of all ages.
- Evaluates, purchases, and weeds materials in assigned collection areas.
- Provides reference and readers' advisory service to patrons at the youth and teen reference desks.
- Attends monthly department meetings in addition to other professional development meetings as required.
Submit resume, cover letter, and three professional references to:
Cassie Carbaugh, Head of Youth Services
Grayslake Area Public Library District
100 Library Lane
Grayslake, Illinois 60030
No phone calls