Who we are…..
RAILS is one of two multi-type regional library systems in the state that serve and partner with academic, public, school, and special libraries. We are headquartered in Burr Ridge, IL and have service centers in Bolingbrook, Coal Valley, East Peoria, and Rockford which serve a 27,000 square mile area in northern and western Illinois. RAILS employees staff provide support services for the Resource Sharing Alliance NFP (RSA) library automation consortia operations. RSA is an organization of over 145 libraries in central and west central Illinois that provides library services to over 900,000 people.
Who we seek……
We seek a strong candidate who is versatile and a good team player to help us provide great service to RSA's member libraries, their patrons and students. The Cataloging and Database Coordinator plays an integral role in the RSA Cataloging and Database team, ensuring a high level of support for RSA member libraries and a quality bibliographic database that provides optimal discoverability of library materials in all staff and patron facing products including online catalogs and mobile apps. This position performs original and copy cataloging, conducts maintenance projects for bibliographic and authority records, provides individual and group cataloging training, and cleanup visits for the RSA membership. The position works closely with other RSA staff and RSA member libraries to ensure effective operation, support and continuity of RSA's database services.
Core Job Functions:
- Performs original and copy cataloging of library materials in all formats to provide identification, access, and use by the RSA membership
- Loads bibliographic records into the RSA database to provide discoverability in the RSA database and online catalog
- Performs collection batch edits and bibliographic record maintenance, including projects on behalf of RSA member libraries, and cleanup projects at RSA member libraries
- Develops and maintains cataloging content for the RSA library staff support web site
- Documents and implements cataloging best practices, policies, and procedures for internal team operations and RSA member libraries
Other Potential Duties:
- Uses various communication channels, including help desk, email, phone, and in-person meetings to review and provide troubleshooting for cataloging, authority control, acquisitions, selection, and serials issues using an approach that follows RSA procedures in a language and format that is easily understood by colleagues and staff of various skill levels
- Delivers and evaluates cataloging training and meeting presentations to library staff of various levels of expertise at the RAILS East Peoria Service Center and at libraries throughout the RSA service area
- Participates and assists in RSA Database Committee meetings and other RSA Governance meetings, training events, group activities for RSA membership, continuing education events, and represent RSA in various professional activities
- Actively seeks, participates, and suggests professional development opportunities to maintain current awareness of cataloging and technical services trends, automation system technologies, and soft skill development for the Cataloging and Database team and RSA membership
- Cultivates constructive relationships and collaborates with RSA colleagues, RSA member libraries, library system staff, vendors, and other stakeholders with an emphasis on building consensus, relationships, getting results and advocating for the RSA membership
- Understands limits of the position's authority and when a problem, query, or concern should be relayed to a higher level of authority or another institute or entity.
- Thoroughly documents questions, complaints, comments, and other interactions with members, including actions taken on their behalf, in the RSA customer relations database.
- Responsible for maintaining timely and transparent member and staff communication about special projects
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BA/BS or LTA degree with completion of at least 1 cataloging course required; MLS degree from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited graduate school with completion of at least 1 cataloging course preferred
- Minimum 3 years of combined original and copy cataloging experience for print and non-print library materials using the RDA Toolkit, WebDewey, OCLC Connexion, and MARC Edit
- Working knowledge of descriptive and subject cataloging practices, authority control, Dewey Decimal Classification, Library of Congress Classification, Library of Congress subject and genre headings, OCLC Bibliographic Formats and Standards, MARC, and RDA
- Working knowledge of the IFLA Library Reference Model (LRM), the Library of Congress Bibliographic Framework Initiative (BIBFRAME), metadata, and linked data
- Minimum 2 years of delivering customer service in a library setting strongly preferred, but other customer service experience will be considered
- Minimum 2 years of experience using integrated library systems; familiarity with SirsiDynix Symphony preferred but not required
- Minimum 1 year of experience using online public access catalogs (OPACs)
- Minimum 1 year of experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of training for individual and groups of adult learners
- Experience creating detail oriented, clear, and concise documentation. Ability to use extensive workplace technology including email, Internet, office software, remote collaboration tools, and other software
- Must have a valid Illinois driver's license with a clean driving record for occasional travel
What we offer…….
We offer a comfortable office working environment, competitive pay, and an excellent benefits package which includes health insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending, and paid time off. Our employees are encouraged to seek out professional development opportunities to keep us on the leading edge in our industry.
This position will be based at the RAILS East Peoria service center: 600 High Point Lane, East Peoria, IL 61611.
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter with Cataloging & Database Coordinator - RSA in the subject line to email@example.com.