The City of Woodstock is a charming historic community of 25,528, located 55 miles northwest of Chicago on Metra rail. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Woodstock is a community unlike any other boasting historic 19th century buildings, dining, entertainment, accommodations, specialty shops, professional services, art galleries, and live theater. The City employs approximately 150 (full and part-time) employees in a variety of departments within the organization, such as Office of the City Manager, Building & Zoning, Economic Development, Finance, Information Technology, Human Resources, Public Library, Opera House, Police, Public Works and Recreation. Our employees work to serve the residents and strive to make the City of Woodstock the best community it can be.
The Woodstock Public Library is looking for an energetic Children's Librarian to join our team. The successful candidate will have a love of children and children's programming and be a team player. Woodstock Public Library already has successful in-library story times, as well as a popular summer story time at Woodstock's superb farmers market. The library hosts a variety of events and programs, including the popular Witches and Wizards of Woodstock Festival. The City of Woodstock is an innovative community with a long history and a bright future-- come be part of a great team and growing community.
The City of Woodstock is accepting electronic applications on behalf of the Woodstock Public Library for the position of Full-Time Children's Librarian. The purpose of this position is to provide information, reference and programming to children and young adult patrons. The Children's Librarian helps to oversee the Young Adult area, and is under the supervision of the Head of Youth Services.
Examples of Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes and implements age-appropriate youth programming, materials selection, reference services, equipment and circulation.
- Selects materials and equipment for youth and young adult services.
- Prepares publicity for library youth services. Writes press releases. Prepares and gives public presentations.
- Assists children and young adult patrons in locating and using library resources in-person and by telephone. Determines patron information needs. Processes patron requests for material from local collection and interlibrary loans. Prepares bibliographies for patrons.
- Develops relationships with community schools to plan collaborative and complementary programs in order to maximize student interest and access to library resources.
- Teaches children and young adult patrons to use on-line computer catalogs, on-line databases and the Internet. Troubleshoots equipment operating malfunctions and performs minor repairs. Instructs patrons in the use of computers to locate materials.
- Performs Reference Desk duties, answering patron questions, troubleshooting equipment malfunctions, and assisting with technology. Instructs patrons in the use of computers to locate materials.
- Performs circulation desk tasks as needed. Checks materials in and out, registers patrons, processes overdue materials and renews library cards. Assists in creation, development, and execution of ad campaigns including email, direct mail, digital campaigns, press releases, print, radio, etc.
- Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program or the expectation of completion of degree within 12 months.
- Solid experience/familiarity with youth services programming, interests and trends, including Internet, social media, and apps.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Spanish language fluency preferred.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, salaried/exempt position for which the starting annual salary is $46,030.40. Additionally, an excellent benefits package is provided including an IMRF pension.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, September 3, 2019, 5:00 PM.
An application for this position may be obtained from the City's website at www.woodstockil.gov . A current resume, cover letter, a completed City of Woodstock job application including three (3) professional references and a salary history MUST BE EMAILED to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The City reserves the right to select only the most qualified applicants for an interview. The City of Woodstock is an Equal Opportunity Employer.