Reports to: Information Services Coordinator
Jobs Supervised: Department volunteers; may oversee support functions as assigned (department assistants, computer assistants, and/or volunteers)
Nature and Scope of Position: Responsible for providing friendly responsive service to people of all ages and skill levels in a diverse community. The person in this position is a team player that loves books, movies, music, and people, keeps abreast with technology trends, and enjoys connecting with others.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
• Creates and maintains a welcoming environment for library users
• Staffs the Information Services Desk; performing common tasks such as reserving items, submitting Inter Library Loan request, troubleshooting common technology issues, etc.
• Keeps current on professional and technical issues and trends
• Engages library visitors in discussions about books, movies, music, and other information resources • Designs and delivers programs/events for families and adults at the library and offsite
• May be responsible for components of the adult collection
• Assists department staff in creating and maintaining displays, promotional pieces, and bibliographies for materials in various formats
• Conducts "one-on-one" library instruction
• Facilitates program registration and meeting and study room usage
• Keeps up with programs and events that are happening in the library
• May serve as person-in-charge as assigned
• Staffs Youth and Teen services areas as assigned
• Attends and participates in staff, department, and other job-related meetings
• Performs other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
• Ability to provide outstanding customer service.
• Ability to manage and prioritized multiple tasks.
• Professional demeanor and a team player.
• Strong comfort with technology.
• Strong ability to adapt to change.
• Basic keyboard, data entry, and typing skills.
• Well-developed oral communications skill.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to read, write and speak English.
• Ability to give and receive instructions in English.
• Alpha-numeric recognition skill.
• Ability to use basic office equipment.
• Ability to pass a criminal background check.
• Must have access to reliable transportation.
• Requires full range of motion, including standing, sitting, or walking for extended periods
• Requires bending, stooping, and reaching to retrieve library materials
• Must be able to move a two-sided book cart loaded with books and other library materials
• Must have dexterity and eye-hand coordination to move materials or operate automated equipment
• Must be able to lift boxes of books, paper, or other items weighing up to 40 lbs .
Contacts: Patrons, volunteers, other library staff, and peers at other organizations
Working Conditions: Normal office conditions
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree, LTA or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Passion for literature, movies, music, and popular culture
• Comfort with a variety of computers, electronic devices, and online services and applications
• Ability to work with patrons of all skill levels and ages
• Ability to represent the library at professional and community events
• Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish is a plus
• Previous Library experience preferred
Zion-Benton Public Library District is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references.