This is a great opportunity for a MLIS graduate looking for full-time reference and programming experience!
The full-time Adult Services Programmer/Reference Librarian Formulates, directs, coordinates and publicizes adult/special events programming, including some community outreach and marketing activities. Provides reference, reader's advisory and computer assistance to adult patrons at the reference desk. Selects materials as assigned and manages related budgets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Researches, plans, presents and promotes a variety of diverse, educational, informational and entertaining events for the Blue Island Community.
- Promotes programs and events in a variety of outlets including internal and external sources as well as in paper and various electronic/digital sources, including writing press releases,. Develops and maintains media contacts/relationships.
- Creates promotional materials (fliers, posters, and brochures) and posts events in the various electronic formats as well, including, but not limited to, staff (currently Outlook) calendar, web site, social media, etc..
- Coordinates and collaborates with relevant staff on programming ideas.
- Seeks alternate (grants, etc.) funding resources for programming events.
- Manages programming and relevant materials budget as assigned.
- Represents the Library at various meetings and events as relevant to job duties within Blue Island. and neighboring communities as appropriate.
- Provides service to patrons in all areas as needed at the reference desk.
- Assists, as needed, with reference department activities, projects, etc.
- Participates in relevant professional development activities.
- Works to keep abreast of new and emerging library developments, technologies, and resources, including seeking out, attending, participating in, hosting, workshops, conferences, and professional development activities related to duties of position.
- Participates in activities with and attends meetings of the Friends of the Library as needed.
- Serves as a member of the management team; provides monthly reports, attends monthly Management Team meetings, and serves as PIC.
- Reports regularly to the Adult Services Coordinator.
- Assists with providing service and relevant activities in the maker space as time and other duties allow as coordinated with other maker space staff.
- Fully participates as a contributing team member in the Adult Services Department offering ideas, suggestions, services, etc., in the interest of continuous service improvement to the Blue Island community.
- Offers both individual and group instruction of reference and reference related resources
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Qualifications:
Education Required: MLS (will consider current student near completion)
Experience: 3-5 years public library (or equivalent) experience
Spanish language skills a plus
Walking, sitting, standing, sometimes for extended periods of time
Utilizing a computer, sometimes for extended periods of time
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with both library patrons and staff
- Ability to skillfully operate a Windows-based machine and Microsoft Office and staff email
- Ability and desire to work as part of a larger team towards the shared goal of enriching the lives of the community of Blue Island through the work done at the library, with particular focus given to the quality of the customer service experience library patrons receive.
- Ability to learn new technology and communicate this knowledge with department staff
- Ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically with library staff from other departments, this extends to telephone and electronic communications
- Ability to prioritize obligations in a manner that maximizes efficiency.
- Ability to deal with the pressures of public service in a busy environment with frequent interruptions
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and/or weekends.
Other Job Requirements:
Must have access to transportation necessary to attend library-related meetings, events, and conferences that are hosted remotely. Must be available for weekend and evening shifts.
Please send resume, cover letter, and references to Reference Hiring Manager at email address email@example.com No phone calls, please. Equal Opportunity Employer.