ILLINOIS COLLEGE OF OPTOMETRY
PAID LIBRARY INTERNSHIP 2019.20
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Assistant Library Director
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs the circulation desk functions using the SIRSI library system: check out, check in, overdue reports, hold notices, etc.
- Resolves problems with circulation records, fines and library users
- Answers basic requests for assistance, basic reference questions and helps library users locate material; refers persons requiring professional assistance to the professional library staff
- Enters data into the VisionCite library journal citation database
- Assists with copy cataloging, discarding activities and with the processing of the materials added to the collections
- Assists with basic website maintenance
- Other duties as assigned by the library staff and/or immediate supervisor
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Creates and maintains seasonal book displays and presentation display boards
- Contributes to the library's social media presence
- Assists with journal bindery preparations
- Answers the telephone, provides the service requested or transfers the call to the appropriate library staff member
- Performs Circulation Library Assistant duties as needed
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor's degree; beginning library school graduate student required
- Detail oriented
- Knowledge of computers, software, MS-Office, library systems and software, and social media; HTML preferred
- Ability to learn new computer applications
- Ability to handle a wide variety of non-sequential jobs without confusion
- Ability to follow through on verbal or written instructions
- Ability to verify data on ID cards and the library material with the information on the screen
- Ability to shelve and retrieve library materials from the stacks
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Ability to meet deadlines regardless of circumstances or pressures
- Knowledge and ability to use photocopiers and scanners
- Demonstrated experience in typing, filing, and computer data entry
- Demonstrated experience in record keeping
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; must be able to get along well with others
Attendance must be in accordance with College policies.
E-mail a cover letter, resume, and a list of 3 references to: email@example.com.
No telephone calls please.
Beginning graduate students in library and information science ONLY may apply.
This position does NOT provide a guarantee of employment post internship.