Position Overview: The Business Manager is responsible to the Library Director for the management of business office, in matters related to the business, financial, and human resources. This position provides confidential, accurate and timely support to the Director as well as the Board of Trustees and under the purview of the accountant. Serves as an active manager and participates as person in charge (PIC) as needed.
• Responsible for accounts payable & receivables, monthly reconciliations, bank deposits, check writing
and financial reports
• Assist in analyzing, monitoring and preparing the annual budget
• Assist in compilation of the annual IPLAR
• Maintain official administrative, financial files and archives.
• Assist and prepare documents for auditors
• In collaboration with the Library Director, effectively negotiate with vendors, contractors, etc. to obtain
the most cost effective prices and contract terms for goods and services
• Manage accounts and revenues and assists in reconciliation of bank statements at month-end and
• Audit and prepare bi-monthly payroll with precision. Monitors vacation, sick and personal time for
• Monitor the unemployment compensation program; follow up as necessary on claims to control costs
• Administer wage administration program for all employees, monitor and process wage increases as
scheduled, and follow up on employee payroll deduction programs
• Journal entries, audit and reconciliation of Friends of the Library account
• Act as a liaison between Library Director, Board of Trustees, and other libraries
• Maintain executive calendars and post reminders of scheduled meetings and events
• Post agendas and meeting minutes for all official meetings, in compliance with the Open Meetings Act
• Maintain supply inventory and place orders for other departments
• Oversee and assist with mail, postage meter duties, copier maintenance, and deliveries
• Attend a variety of professional continuing education classes, seminars and workshops to continuously
advance skills and knowledge within the job spectrum
• Attend Board Meeting and Finance Committees Meetings as needed
• Assist Library Director with Human Resources functions related to hiring, compensation, and benefits.
• Maintains compliance with all regulations in relation to social security, workers compensation, and
• Prepare & submit paperwork for new, terminated or retiring employees
• I-9 Verification and auditing
• Records retention
• Prepare written requests for employment verification as requested
• Assist the Library Director with project coordination
• Maintenance of the employee handbook and section 7.0 of the policy
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's Degree, business with accounting
• 1-3 years of experience in a similar position
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office & QuickBooks
• Prior library experience preferred
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
• May require standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time
• Ability to move and/or lift materials up to 50 pounds
• Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, crawl, reach, climb, balance, and sit
• All duties and tasks performed must be completed in a satisfactory manor
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
• After hired must become certified as an IMRF Representative
The Library is an Equal opportunity employer. It provides equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, religion, marital status, disability, sex, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, order of protection status, genetic information, or any other category protected by applicable law.
To apply for this position please submit cover letter, resume, degree/certification and three professional references to Fox Lake Library Administration at firstname.lastname@example.org.