Do you enjoying helping children and teens find answers to their questions? Do you know authors like Rick Riordan, Dav Pilkey, Ben Clanton and Mercer Mayers? Do you enjoy suggesting books and authors for others to read? Come join our exciting team at Wilmington Public Library District. Under the supervision of the Youth Services Manager, this individual will provide reference and readers advisory assistance at the reference desk. This individual with deal responsibly with patron problems and emergencies to maintain a safe and pleasant work environment. This is a great opportunity for individuals that are beginning their adventure in the library world.
Library Mission Statement:
Our mission is to provide access to information, ideas, and cultural opportunities essential to a literate and educated society and to provide a welcoming environment where people can seek out and explore all library resources without barriers.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provides friendly, courteous and accurate service to all users.
- Maintains neatness of public areas including desks, counters, shelves, tables and personal space visible to the public.
- Provides reference and readers advisory assistance at the reference desk on a regular basis. Refers questions to appropriate staff for further assistance.
- Instructs and assists patrons with use of electronic resources including the online catalog.
- Develops book lists, bibliographies and books displays as assigned.
- Attends meeting and participates in continuing education opportunities related to Youth Services.
- Assists in the development and implementation of Youth Services programs.
- Provides Notary and Voter's Registration services
- Processes out-of-system Inter-Library Loans.
- Serves as a proctor.
- Communicates necessary updates to the webmaster as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of Youth Services practices, procedures and technologies.
- Basic knowledge of children's literature and child development.
- Demonstrated ability to tell, read and interpret stories for children.
- Ability to conduct patron interview.
- Ability to deal courteously and diplomatically with patron and colleagues.
- Ability to take initiative and use good judgment in making decisions and referring questions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to remain calm in difficult situations.
- Ability to follow tasks to completion.
- Basic computer and keyboarding skills.
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift and carry items up to twenty pounds.
- Ability to use general office equipment.
- LTA or Bachelors Degree
- Two years previous experience with children.
- Previous library experience preferred.
- Position requires day, evening and weekend hours.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to Sue Mountford, Youth Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.