Consider joining our energetic team as a Youth Services Associate! We are looking for an individual who is creative, energetic, and confident in teaching early literacy skills to young children and their caregivers. Qualified applicants have prior knowledge of youth literature and would be comfortable providing services for children from babies through teens. Top priorities are an enjoyment of interactions with people of all ages, and a passion for promoting library materials and services.
- Associate's Degree, LTA, Bachelor's Degree or two years of college/university work.
- Well-developed communication skills (written and oral).
- Knowledge of current children's literature.
- Experience working with children and the ability to connect with caregivers.
- Previous storytime experience and knowledge of early childhood development preferred.
- Knowledge of library resources.
- Spanish language skills preferred.
- Develops and implements programs and activities for a specific age group (babies). Plans and teaches baby lap-sit storytimes, toddler storytimes, and Baby Play Days.
- Keeps current on professional issues pertaining to early literacy.
- Visits schools and other organizations for special presentations.
- Assists youth and adults in the selection, organization, and interpretation of library materials. Refers complex reference or library policy questions to senior staff.
- Instructs library users in the use of online services, catalogs and reference tools.
- Places local holds, initiates system level interlibrary loan transactions, registers patrons for programs, reserves meeting rooms for patrons and performs other service desk functions.
- Troubleshoots minor problems of equipment (computers, copiers, etc.).
- Selects and/or advises on acquisition of library materials.
- Participates in conducting evaluations of youth collections, programs and services.
- Attends and participates in staff, department and other job related meetings
Employment applications are available at our Circulation Desk, or on our website at www.wnpl.info. Please submit the application, resume, and cover letter. (No phone calls or in person inquiries)