We are looking for a creative, flexible, and reliable outreach intern for our busy spring and early summer outreach season. You will have duties that cover many aspects of library service but your primary focus will be learning how to provide outstanding community outreach in a variety of settings.
As outreach intern, you will collaborate with our knowledgeable and experienced staff to provide programs and services both out in the community and inside the library. You will acquire the skills needed to work effectively with schools and other community partners, staff from across the library, and children and teens with differing abilities.
• Create and execute 30 minute, interactive literature based programming for K-5 groups
• Prepare and present high interest book talks for students in grades 3-12 out in schools
• Create and present high energy presentations to promote the summer reading program
• Collect resources to provide curricular support to K-8th grade classrooms
• Represent the library and provide resources in the library, on the bookmobile and at various evening events at schools and other locations in the community
Requirements & Skills:
• Valid driver's license and clean driving record
• Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
• Comfortable speaking to large groups, from children to adults
• Strong writing skills
• Working knowledge of literature for children and teens
• Positive attitude and ability to adapt quickly to unexpected circumstances
• Interest in working with underserved, at risk populations
Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment and excel in Our Culture.
Preferred qualifications include: fluency in a second language and access to reliable, independent transportation.
Preference will be given to those currently enrolled in or recently graduated from an LTA or MLIS program.
Hours and Scheduling:
Part-time. Sixteen week internship at 20 hours a week, including daytime, evening, and occasional weekend hours. Start date negotiable but no later than April 8
Candidates who apply by February 24 will be given priority for interviews. To be considered for this opportunity, please submit :
- A letter of interest, including how your qualifications match the requirements for the position.
- Your resume.
Only electronic submissions will be considered.