The University of Illinois at Chicago is seeking a part-time Library Assistant to work at the Library of the Health Sciences at the Peoria campus. The Library Assistant will work 25 hours weekly, which includes 2-3 evening shifts.
The Library Assistant is an active team member of the Library of the Health Sciences-Peoria, responsible for contributing to Access Services (Circulation) and Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery. The Library Assistant provides frontline customer services to students, staff, and faculty of the Colleges of Medicine and Nursing, to UIC affiliated users, and to members of the general public. The Library Assistant work hours includes two or three evening shifts per week.
· Assists patrons in person and on the phone.
· Answers circulation and ready reference questions. Refers to others if needed.
· Uses the automated circulation system to check in and check out materials.
· Uses daily reports to monitor and route overdue notices.
· Collects and reports on library usage data for the department.
· Handles daily mail collection and distribution.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) and Document Delivery
· Receives and processes ILL and ILDS requests, including verifying requests using online database(s) and print resources.
· Sends materials in shipments and processes return shipments.
· Compiles statistics on ILL and document delivery activities.
· Plans and assists with various special library events.
· Maintains the physical order of the library collections and ensures equipment (printers, copiers) is available for use by patrons.
Performs other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.
High school graduation or equivalent.
Any combination totaling 1 year (12 months) from the following categories:
(a) work experience in a library or equivalent setting or general clerical or office/clerical related customer service experience.
(b) college course work in any field as measured by the following conversion table or its proportional equivalent.
· 30 semester hours equals six months
· 60 semester hours or an Associate's degree equals one year
· knowledge, skills, and abilities required in the lower levels of this series
· applied knowledge of institutional policies and procedures
· applied knowledge of pertinent functional practices and procedures
· skill in communicating effectively with and working well with a diverse staff and user population
· skill in performing effective customer service
· skill in maintaining various paper and electronic files and records
· skill in working accurately with detailed information
· skill in effectively operating technical equipment used in a library
· skill in using pertinent computer applications and performing accurate computer keyboarding
· ability to train and supervise and to supervise the activities of other staff or student workers
· ability to exercise appropriate judgment in decision making
· ability to work with minimal supervision
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
To apply, e-mail email@example.com for application instructions; Deadline extended to 1/24/19. A civil service exam for Library Assistant will be scheduled at the Peoria campus for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications.