Adult Services Assistant
This is a non-exempt position in the Adult Services Department. This position interacts directly with the public as well as with library staff to provide an excellent customer service experience. As a member of the New Lenox Public Library team, our values of accountability, initiative, responsibility and teamwork are integral to daily success. The Adult Services Assistant will work primarily at the public service desk and will also be assigned to assist professional staff with day-to-day operations as well as other projects.
• Bachelor's degree from accredited institution or LTA certificate
• Capability to interact with persons of all ages in a positive manner in order to provide excellent customer service
• Familiarity with both fiction and non-fiction literature for a teen and adult collection
• Ability to provide research and computer assistance
• Possesses good interpersonal skills to communicate effectively electronically, in person, on the telephone, and in writing
• Flexible and adaptable to new experiences, concepts, and technology
• Knowledge of digital services, including library databases and e-book resources
• Familiarity with Illinois and Federal laws as they apply to public libraries including privacy and copyright
• Access to transportation and ability to travel to local, state, regional and national meetings and conferences
Description of Duties
• Assists patrons in answering questions and locating resources through a variety of print and electronic resources
• Provides help to patrons with the use of computers, printers and copiers, including basic instructions and troubleshooting
• Serves as a back-up person for Inter-Library Loan Procedures
• Assists with Homebound Delivery Services
• Performs Reader's Advisory Services
• Reserves study rooms and registers patrons for programs
• Assists and trains patrons on library e-book resources
• Creates monthly displays and updates bulletin boards
• Assists with programming and outreach events
• Attends workshops, meetings and seminars as required
• Performs other duties as assigned
- Paid Holidays if falls on a regularly scheduled work day
- 40 Vacation Hours per Year
- Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit, stand, kneel, reach, and walk. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move equipment, etc., up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities are required by this job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.