Whiting Public Library
Children/Young Adult Librarian
The Whiting Public Library, located in Whiting, Indiana, is looking for a creative, tech-savvy, energetic Children/Young Adult Librarian with proven leadership skills, and a passion for literacy in all stages of cognitive development from birth to eighteen.
Located roughly 18 miles southeast of Chicago—Whiting is also known as "The Little City on the Lake." We are a small but growing community with Lake Michigan in our backyard. Just a few of the amenities include the ability to walk to the shopping district and local schools, miles of bike paths, and a beautiful lakeside park. We have a progressive mayor who is putting Whiting on the map: we are the home of Oil City Stadium; the WhoaZone on the lake; symphonies in the park; and the Mascot Hall of Fame. The Whiting/Robertsdale Chamber of Commerce hosts the annual Pierogi Festival which has received countrywide recognition and has been featured on the Food Network and the Travel Channel.
We have a healthy annual budget and a board of trustees who work well with the director in making the Whiting Library the best it can be.
The Children/Young Adult Librarian is primarily responsible for:
- Giving direct, personal aide to children and their caregivers in their search for information
- Selecting suitable material for the collection
- Maintaining the collection
- Training and supervising library staff
- Directing and planning juvenile and young adult programming (including weekly story times S.T.E.A.M. programs, teen programs, special events and our annual summer reading program)
- Maintaining the children's section of the library's website
- Writing articles for the library's newsletter and local papers as well as program brochures and fliers
- Maintaining the appearance of the Children's Department
- Staying up-to-date with trends affecting this age group by participating in various webinars, and workshops on a regular basis, and by attending counterparts workshops hosted by various libraries located in District 1
The Children/Young Adult Librarian reports directly to the library director and will be required to act as the supervisor in charge in the absence of the director and assistant director. This individual is expected to project a positive attitude about the library and maintain a good working relationship, including outreach services, with local schools and youth based organizations in the city. Other job duties may include serving on library committees, attending professional workshops and conferences, and researching and applying for grants.
The Children/Young Adult Librarian is a full-time position and offers an excellent benefits package: health, life, eye, and dental insurance, PERF, 403b, 4 weeks of vacation, 11 paid holidays, 3 personal business days and 12 sick days per year. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- A Master's in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA-accredited institution (or the ability and commitment to obtain an MLS within 12 months of the hire date) is required
- 3-5 years of supervisory experience
- 3-5 years of experience working with children
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of age-appropriate books and materials for children from birth to age eighteen
- Knowledge of conventional weeding and collection management procedures
- Strong commitment to developing and strengthening school-library partnerships
- Ability to organize and implement inspiring library programs and displays
- Ability to work 35 hours a week, including some evenings & Saturdays
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Ability to maintain order with large groups of students
- Librarian Certificate (LC3) issued by the Indiana State Library
- Oral and written proficiency in Spanish is a plus
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references (to be contacted only after the applicant has been informed that s/he is a finalist). Applications should be mailed to The Whiting Public Library, Attn: Montserrat Inglada, Director, 1735 Oliver St., Whiting, IN 46394
Resume's should be mailed to Montserrat Inglada, Director, 1735 Oliver St., Whiting, IN 46394