The Lake Bluff Public Library is seeking a creative and enthusiastic team player to join our Library staff as the Head of Circulation and Reference. This Department Head position is responsible for the management and oversight of the Circulation and Reference department, which includes everything from making recommendations and decisions about policy and procedure to skillfully addressing patron concerns and troubleshooting the public PCs and printers. Additionally, this position collaborates frequently with our Adult Services department and has additional programming and collection development responsibilities. Experience and/or relevant education preferred, current MLIS students encouraged to apply.
- Manages the Circulation and Reference department and serves as the main supervisor for the main desk.
- Oversees the creation, implementation, and maintenance of Circulation and Reference procedures and services.
- Makes recommendations to the Library Director on proposed changes to Circulation and Reference policy; participates in discussion of long-term/strategic library goals as they pertain to Circulation and Reference services.
- Leads/co-leads or coordinates staff training for Circulation and Reference topics, including training for new Circulation and Reference staff and cross training staff members from other departments.
- Resolves customer service concerns with patrons.
- Supervision and management of up to four (4) staff members, including employee evaluation and coordination of projects.
- Collaborate with Adult Services programming staff on joint programming/outreach opportunities and events. Plan and lead programs as needed. Current events include: Trivia Night at the Brewery, and Summer and Winter Reading Clubs.
- Collection manager for the Adult Fiction and Video Game collections.
- Approximately 6 hours of regularly scheduled shifts at the reference and circulation desks.
- Oversees the administration of Passport Services. If eligible, also serves as a Passport Agent following proper training and certification.
- A Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Preference for Master's Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent experience. Current MLIS students are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a close-knit, team-oriented environment.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite. Proficiency with Adobe products and HTML is not required, but would be considered favorably; interest in developing proficiency with appropriate training would also be considered favorably.
- Hours are flexible, but will include at least one regular evening shift and occasional weekend shifts.
- 20 vacation days/year
- 10 sick days/year
- 2 personal days/year
- Medical Insurance (100% of cost for employee coverage paid by employer, 80% of additional cost of family/spouse coverage paid by employer)
- Dental and Vision insurance also available
- Enrollment in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF)
To apply, please visit www.lakeblufflibrary.org/employment.html to submit your resume and cover letter.