Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) is a multitype library system with one big, audacious goal: to become the very best library system in the country. To reach this goal, we must provide responsive, innovative and strategic services to our almost 1,400 member libraries. We succeed when they succeed in serving their community to the fullest.
How do we accomplish this audacious goal? By hiring responsive, innovative and strategic-minded people! If this is you, and you are passionate about libraries of all shapes and sizes, then RAILS is where you belong. You will join a motivated, supportive staff who love serving our member libraries.
RAILS continuing education and consulting services are highly valued services by our members, and we're looking to grow. We are currently seeking two Consulting and Continuing Education Specialists who will work in our Burr Ridge office with the Director of Consulting and Continuing Education and alongside other RAILS staff to develop programs and services that make our members wonder how they could do it without us. Are you someone dedicated to education? Do you enjoy training others? Can you deliver excellent customer service to our members who are seeking information or advice? If so, opportunities await you!
What Opportunities, Exactly?
- Coordination: You'll be all over our training opportunities—scheduling training, communicating with presenters, and coordinating all those details that can make or break a program. You'll also help keep track of our statistics, analyze trends, and make recommendations on future directions. Do you enjoy delivering training to others? We'll have you do that too.
- Technology: Technology allows us to connect to our members. You'll help develop, create, and produce recorded training such as videos, webinars and screencasts. You'll help us grow our website into THE place members want to come to learn more and do more.
- Communication: If we offer a service and our members don't know about it, does it even exist? Communication is key. That's why you'll work with our communications department to assist in promoting our services. You'll also have a chance to attend networking meetings and member updates and to visit libraries to promote our services. You'll be amazed just how quickly your network of colleagues across the state will grow.
- Consulting: Nobody knows it all, which is why we need to help our members connect with people who have the expertise they need. You'll work with outside consultants to develop these services, keep our consulting directory in good shape, and support our member libraries with their questions related to resource sharing.
Why Do We Want You at RAILS?
- You want to help libraries succeed
- You can work independently, but you love being part of a team.
- You've got great verbal and written communication skills.
- You can see projects through from start to finish, prioritizing with ease.
- You aren't afraid to take risks.
- You are dependable.
- You have a sense of humor that you carry with you at all times.
- You like to travel to other libraries, meeting new people, seeing new facilities, and networking with others on all manner of topics.
What You'll Need
- A minimum of three years relevant library experience.
- A master's degree in library science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution is strongly preferred. Individuals enrolled in a MLS program are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge and experience in designing and delivering presentations both in-person and virtually preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with editing and producing recorded training such as videos, webinars, and screencasts preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with remote training via videoconferencing and/or webinars preferred.
- Experience negotiating agreements and contracts preferred.
- General familiarity with the ALA and ILLINET Interlibrary Loan Code and state and local laws pertaining to resource sharing.
Any Other Perks?
- RAILS offers competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes health insurance, a retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and paid time off.
- We want our employees to learn. You'll have opportunities to attend conferences and take part in professional development opportunities.
- Interested in committee work within organizations like the Illinois Library Association or the American Library Association? So are we. RAILS staff are involved in committees on all levels and on all topics.
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter with Consulting and Continuing Education Specialist in the subject line to email@example.com. This position will be based out of the Burr Ridge Service Center: 125 Tower Drive, Burr Ridge, IL 60527.