GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Library Assistant is responsible for circulation control of all library materials; provides assistance with basic reference questions; works regularly scheduled unsupervised evening hours.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Responsible for circulation control of all library materials: check-out/check-in, reserves, holds, overdues, interlibrary loans, using integrated library system software and College student information system.
- Demonstrates how to locate library resources.
- Assists patrons by identifying material locations on I-Share, PrairieCat, Share Illinois, and WorldCat.
- Demonstrates how to place holds and manage patron's personal accounts in the online catalog.
- Retrieves and processes interlibrary loan items for other libraries and from BHC patrons.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures for access and control of library resources, in conjunction with regional library systems and library consortia.
- Collects and records fines and bill payments, in library and College's database systems.
- Maintains current patron database files.
- Updates existing item database files for patrons and materials: status of loan privileges, materials, payments, etc.
- Provides preliminary reference assistance to patrons: assesses search needs, makes referrals to librarians.
- Maintains confidentiality of patron and materials records.
- Works evenings as required.
DESCRIPTION OF OTHER DUTIES:
- Assists in training and supervising work/study student employees.
- Prepares interlibrary loan statistical reports as assigned.
- Receives, processes, and maintains periodical subscriptions as assigned.
- Assists in processing and maintaining reserve materials collection as assigned.
- Receives and processes government documents as assigned.
- Assists with book displays as assigned.
- Provide general information to Black Hawk College students, staff and public regarding Black Hawk College.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates BHC core values.
- Accuracy and efficiency of work.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work cooperatively with co-workers.
- Ability to communicate in pleasant manner with employees, students, and general public.
- Maintains up-to-date job knowledge.
PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
- Work directly with Director of Library Services.
- Work directly with Library staff.
- Work directly with student employees.
- Works directly with Library consortia staff and member libraries.
- Works directly with students, faculty, administrators, and community patrons.
Education & Experience
(To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.)
- Associates degree or two years successful college coursework required.
- Library Technical Assistant certificate or degree preferred.
- One year library experience with automated system required.
- Circulation experience preferred.
- Experience in an academic library preferred.
- Competence in using office equipment, library software and databases, and bookkeeping skills required.
- Excellent communications skills and customer service skills required.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of materials and patron records.
- Ability to work nights on a regular basis required.
Schedule is Monday - Thursday 4pm - 7:30pm to provide evening coverage for the Black Hawk College library when classes are in session.
Black Hawk College does not sponsor employment visas.
Candidates are encouraged to include a cover letter and resume with the online application. You'll be prompted to upload/attach these documents during the application process. Please refer to the online help guide at www.bhc.edu/employment for assistance during the application process.