The Board of Trustees of the Sherrard Public Library District seeks an exceptional candidate to fill its Director position. The Sherrard Public Library District serves approximately 6,378 patrons and encompasses a largely rural area, including the communities of Sherrard, Preemption, Swedona, Matherville, Boden, Cable, and Coyne Center. The library has an annual circulation of 26,573 and an annual budget of $300,000. The new library director will be responsible for the administration of the library, including staff management, budgeting and overall planning. They must have a vision for future library services, strategies and trends and serve as the library's ambassador to the community. A demonstration of experience establishing positive working relationships with a library board, staff, patrons and community organizations, as well as advanced knowledge and experience in library organization and procedures will be required.
- Plan, direct and supervise all aspects of library services, facilities and activities.
- Exhibit strong leadership with the ability to inspire staff, board, and community.
- Lead the library and staff in a highly professional manner, fostering teamwork and collaboration with an emphasis on community service.
- Direct and control the expenditures of funds within constraints of approved budgets for all needs of the library.
- Supervise full-time and part-time library staff and conduct staff evaluations.
- Prepare financial and statistical reports for the Board of Trustees and the State Library.
- Propose priorities, procedures, and general practices to the Board of Trustees for approval.
- Advocate for the library and enthusiastically participate in community events and organizations.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts or working conditions associated with the job.
- Four-year degree in Business Administration, Finance, Library Science, Education or equivalent. Master's in Library Science strongly preferred.
- Two to five years of library experience with progressive levels of responsibility and supervisory management.
- Experience in fiscal management and planning.
- Thorough knowledge of public library administration best practices and current trends.
Leadership and Advocacy:
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking ability.
- Demonstrated ability to seek new and alternative funding.
- Ability to promote and market the library through community involvement, collaboration, and outreach.
Salary & Benefits
Salary range for this position is $42,000 - $48,000. Compensation will be based on experience.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a current resume, three professional references, and a cover letter to the Sherrard Public Library District. Please submit the materials electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, January 14th, 2019 at 5:00 P.M.