Serving a diverse community in the southern suburbs of Chicago, the Homewood Public Library is seeking a creative self-starter to step into the 37-hour position of Library Services Department Head, starting November 1, 2018. The successful candidate must be forward-thinking team player who can work successfully in a busy library environment.
This position is non-exempt and requires daytime and evening hours. The successful candidate will be eligible for options such as health care, vision and dental plans, life insurance and IMRF benefits.
- Hires, trains, and supervises department staff.
- Sets goals and objectives for the department under the Library's strategic plan.
- Provides quality customer service while helping patrons locate resources available in the library, but also supervising staff in the provision of print and digital resources, in-depth and ready reference, readers' advisory and technology assistance.
- Participates and directs the staff in planning and implementation of patron education/training.
- Supervises development of department's collection.
- Monitors departments' budget allocations.
- Promotes the department's collection and services via displays, library programming and regular contributions to website content.
- Works with administration and management team to facilitate library planning and building management.
- Maintains statistical information for the department.
- Keeps records of staff development and/or training.
- Monitors staff performance including regular evaluations.
- Serves as Person-In-Charge of building in absence of Administrative Librarian, handling physical problems with building and enforcing patron behavior policies.
- Regularly attends professional workshops and meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the administration.
Minimum education and other requirements:
ALA-accredited (or approved equivalent) master's degree in Library Science.
Minimum of 5 years of public library experience.
Minimum of 3 years of management experience.
Commitment to providing quality customer service.
Able to work as a team with staff members and administration.
Able to work effectively and calmly with frequently interruption.
Commitment to continuing professional development.
Good written and verbal communication skills.
Maintains an awareness of the library community.
Maintains active membership in ALA, ILA, PLA, and/or other professional organizations.
Must have a strong work ethic and be willing to work alone and as a team. Must be self-motivated. Knowledge of social media outlets and Microsoft Office Suite helpful. Spanish language skills are a plus.
Aptitude for detail and accuracy. Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines. Able to focus well and work efficiently in a busy environment. Strong aptitude for numbers and basic knowledge of budge- keeping procedures. Strong desire to create an environment of information-sharing between staff members and the Library Services team.
Must be able to lift 50 pounds. Must be able to move a book cart or book truck weighing up to 100 pounds. Frequent bending, stooping and crouching is required. Excellent manual dexterity and visual and hearing ability required.
Please submit cover letter and resume with 3 professional references. No phone calls, please.