If you are looking for a position that gives you real responsibility (i.e. tasks that you alone are in charge of), asks you to be as creative as you want to be, lets you show off your individual skill set and focus on the tasks that you really enjoy, and will allow you to make your personal mark on our library, then this is the job for you!
The Palos Heights Public Library is looking for a creative, driven, full-time librarian to join our ambitious and busy Public Services Department. Responsibilities include working with the public in a variety of capacities including general reference questions, reader's advisory, and basic technical inquiries, using various types of databases, collection development, programs, and other special projects as assigned. A proficient knowledge of social media, downloadable books/devices and basic computer technology is necessary. This position will also be responsible for leading a monthly book discussion group. The successful candidate must have strong customer service skills and enjoy working with a diverse public.
- MLS degree, or enrolled in a MLS program and nearing completion preferred.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with library users.
- Proficient in computer-based technology and current social media.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain a positive and friendly demeanor in adverse situations.
- Must be able to work evenings and rotating weekends.
DESIRABLE (but by no means required) SKILLS:
- Experience creating professional quality graphic design projects.
- Creating online content such as blogs, podcasts, or tutorials.
- Experience developing a strong community outreach program.
(Any one of these skills is highly desirable but none are necessary in order to be considered a strong applicant for this position.)
Please email a cover letter, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references to Jkacmar@phlibrary.org. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Open until job is filled. No phone calls please.