The Oak Park Public Library is seeking a people-focused, technology-driven, innovative, and forward-thinking professional to join its team as our Website Specialist.
This position is part-time, 20 hours per week, and includes paid time-off (vacation, sick time, floating and paid holidays) and enrollment in the IMRF retirement pension plan. The starting hourly rate is $23.00 per hour, but depends on experience and qualifications.
This technical role focuses on web development, technical training of library staff and patrons, and contributing collaboratively as a member of internal teams in IT, digital learning, and digital communications. A qualified candidate will have solid technical competence and a willingness to learn, grow, and contribute to support the library's mission, and strategic objectives.
WORK PRIORITIES AND GOALS
The nature and allocation of work for a website specialist may include, but is not limited to the following:
- Develop and maintain the library's public and staff websites and integrated third-party software. These include content management systems, catalog, digital signage and meeting room reservation, and other cloud-based or locally hosted services.
- Provide technology training and assistance for internal users and the public.
- Assist in installation projects and systems troubleshooting which may require working off hours.
- Assist in technology purchases, equipment inventory and tracking technology expenditures.
- Create and maintain work and procedure documentation.
- Collaborate with other staff to evaluate services and develop strategies for achieving library goals.
- Coordinate with vendors, managers, and other staff to assist in planning projects, recommending hardware/software purchases, implementing new systems, and other duties as needed.
- Maintain an awareness of products, services, technology applications, and trends by reading technology and library literature, news media, and blogs.
- Develop organizational and technical skills as needed.
- Support standard reporting and custom analytics, across digital platforms.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in web and/or technology-related discipline, plus three years professional experience.
- Solid technical competence and a willingness to learn, grow, and contribute to support the library's mission, and strategic objectives.
- Experience with Wordpress and other CMSs.
- Understanding of web hosting and backup services, PHP, My SQL, Apache, Microsoft IIS.
- Install Plug-ins and customize code.
- Proven knowledge of the most current security standards and best practices.
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process.
- Hands-on experience with Linux and Amazon AWS EC2.
- Skills and knowledge of web-based technologies, UX and UI principles, personal computers, and mobile devices across a wide-range of platforms.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Ability to work with both minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work may require physical effort in the handling of materials up to 50 pounds.
- Some travel required.
- Evening and weekend hours may be required.