Who we are…..
The Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), is known throughout the state of Illinois and beyond for providing innovative and vital programs/services for 1,300 academic, public, school, and special libraries in a 27,000 square mile area in northern and western Illinois. Our service line-up includes continuing education and consulting, a variety of e- book services, shared online catalogs, library materials delivery, and much more. We are headquartered in Burr Ridge, IL and have service centers in Bolingbrook, Coal Valley, East Peoria, and Rockford. More information about RAILS is available at railslibraries.info.
Who we seek…..
Are you a savvy cataloger with experience in staff training? Are you interested in engaging with the broader library community to support resource sharing in Illinois? RAILS has an exciting new position for someone like you to develop cataloging training and services for RAILS members at all types and sizes of libraries. In this position, you'll provide cataloging and cataloging-related services to RAILS members, including training, coordination of specialized cataloging support, and ensuring the quality and integrity of records in RAILS-managed platforms such as eRead Illinois and Find More Illinois.
Core job functions include:
- Develop and maintain a plan for addressing RAILS member cataloging needs. Could include but is not limited to:
- Assessing and implementing the recommendations of the RAILS Cataloging Working Group
- Conducting surveys and/or analyzing survey results to identify needs
- Administer a basic cataloging training curriculum, including course design, developing and maintaining content, providing training, scheduling, and coordinating with any outside providers and other RAILS staff.
- Work with other RAILS staff to provide other cataloging training, including identifying and prioritizing topics, identifying outside presenters, and delivering training.
- Perform cataloging on behalf of RAILS member libraries, including original cataloging.
- Coordinate special cataloging services on behalf of RAILS member libraries.
- Participate in cataloging related activities for the Find More Illinois interlibrary loan platform, including record loading, supporting the copy cataloging module, and making recommendations for best practices.
- Participate in cataloging related activities for RAILS e-content platforms, such as the Axis 360 eRead Illinois e-book platform, including editing, loading, and removal of MARC records and interfacing with vendors.
- Work with consortia staff and other RAILS staff to assist with any other RAILS projects requiring work with cataloging records or other metadata for library collections.
- Connect RAILS members to existing cataloging services and resources, including the Cataloging Maintenance Center, and identify where new services or resources are necessary.
- Participate in projects that ensure the integrity of consortial databases and the accuracy of holdings.
- Master's degree in library science or information science from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited institution required
- 3 years library technical services experience; customer service experience required
- 1 year working with an integrated library system
- Experience in developing and delivering training
- Thorough knowledge of MARC cataloging and current cataloging standards, call number classification systems, bibliographic subject headings, and popular cataloging tools, including OCLC Connexion
- Working knowledge of RDA (Resource Description and Access), FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records), FRAD (Functional Requirements for Authority Records), metadata, and linked data
- Working familiarity with OPACs (Online Public Access Catalogs)
We also offer a comfortable office environment and competitive pay. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and retirement plans. Our employees are encouraged to seek out professional development opportunities by utilizing our continuing education program and we offer tuition reimbursement opportunities after one year of service. EOE
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
This position will be based out of the Burr Ridge Service Center: 125 Tower Drive, Burr Ridge, IL 60527.