The Ela Area Public Library is looking for a creative, kind, and dedicated Children's Librarian who enjoys programming and sharing a love for stories, books, learning, and exploration.
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Develops and presents programs for children and families
- Performs reference and readers' advisory at the Children's Reference Desk
- Finds and books performers for library programs
- Develops and prepares crafts/activities for the activity table
- Participates in collection development
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science with coursework in children's services
- Experience working with children
- Ability to work easily and naturally as a member of a closely-knit team, jumping in to help when needed
- Reliable, with excellent time-management skills
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, flexible
- Ability to work independently at a professional level
- Avid reader of children's literature
- Intellectual curiosity
- Ability to stay current with technology as it relates to the position, including online catalog, Microsoft Office, scheduling software, and science and technology kits for children
- Ability to approach and defuse difficult patron situations
- Spanish, Polish, or Chinese language ability or musical or artistic skills a plus
Position open until filled. If you are interested in joining the Ela Area Public Library District and meet the job requirements described above, please email your cover letter and resume to our Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Ela Area Public Library is a progressive library located in Lake Zurich in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. The Children's Department serves children from birth through fifth grade and their parents, caregivers, and others interested in children's literature. The Library's mission is to "share the joy of discovery" through the materials, services, and programs offered.
* The Ela Area Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin.