The UIC Library seeks an innovative Digital Publishing Librarian. The successful candidate for this newly created position will contribute to the development and delivery of scholarly communications programs and services to the university community, including promoting new forms of scholarly publishing and communicating issues impacting the changing scholarly publishing landscape. This position will also help implement a new campus-wide faculty profile portal. This position reports to the Scholarly Communication Librarian.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the promotion of the University's Institutional Repository (INDIGO), online journal systems and other digital publishing initiatives;
- Provide consultation, training, and support to the campus community on issues related to digital publishing and creating or adopting open educational resources;
- Investigate and expand services provided by the library in support of online journal publishing including exploring alternatives to the library's current journal publishing platform;
- Assist with the migration and implementation of a new Institutional Repository platform;
- Perform routine scholarly communication functions including oversight of content submissions to the Institutional Repository, oversight and assistance with text-encoding projects (Word to XML conversion), technical support to journal editors and authors using the journal publishing platform, and submission of journal content to various sources (Library of Congress, PubMedCentral, CrossRef, DOAJ);
- Support the implementation of a University wide faculty profile portal including profile tool administration, customization, and training;
- Keep abreast of trends and best practices in digital publishing, open education resources, and scholarly communications; investigate emerging platforms and tools to support digital publishing; document findings and make recommendations on potential platforms and tools to implement;
Master's degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program; understanding and interest in the current issues related to scholarly communication including open-access and copyright; effective communication and presentation skills; demonstrated ability to foster teamwork and collaborate effectively with colleagues, staff, and users at all levels and from diverse backgrounds.
Experience developing and publishing digital content; knowledge of digital publishing platforms
Salary commensurate with experience; the minimum salary for a full-time twelve-month appointment is $51,333. Benefits for a twelve month appointment include 24 days vacation; 12 days annual sick leave with additional disability benefits; 11 paid holidays; medical insurance (contribution based on annual salary; coverage for dependents may be purchased); two dental plans available; life insurance paid for by the State; participation in one of the retirement options of the State Universities Retirement System compulsory (8% of salary is withheld and is tax exempt until withdrawal); no Social Security coverage, but Medicare payment is required. This appointment is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois and UIC United Faculty Local 6456, IFT-AFT, AAUP.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer, dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and covered veterans.
For fullest consideration, apply by June 26, 2018 with cover letter, supporting resume, and name and address of at least three references. The position close date is July 17, 2018.
All applicants must submit an online application through https://jobs.uic.edu/. To apply, click on the following link: https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=97820&job=instructor-and-digital-publishing-librarian-university-library.