Do you want real work experience before graduating? Come join our award-winning library to participate in a designed learning experience that will give your library career a jump-start. We're looking for an intern between June and August 2018 (12 weeks/10 hours per week). During this internship you will work with an assigned mentor in our Community Engagement Department. Your work will focus on working with Skokie's recent arrivals from other countries, who have established or are considering establishing businesses in Skokie. Your internship will include:
- Working with local business organizations, government entities and business resources to identify new and existing businesses owned and operated by recent arrivals from other countries to the community.
- Working with your mentor to develop an interviewing protocol to use with these businesses.
- Meeting with individual entrepreneurs to learn about their businesses and identify needs specific to this population.
- Introducing business owners to library and other resources that can help meet their needs.
- Creating a database of business contacts and interview results, and analyzing your results in a report.
You will also receive the following opportunities:
- Learn more about using library business resources and online tools.
- Provide reference services at a public service desk.
- Attend local business meetings in the community and business programs offered at the library.
- Gain a broad orientation to public library operations.
Minimum Qualifications: (education, experience, and certifications)
- Current MLS or MLIS student
- Current Driver's License and good driving record
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and comfortable with technology in general
- Ability to get to meetings offsite with local businesses and organizations
- Broad cultural competency knowledge and skills, and ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse workforce and community
- Willingness to take direction
- Ability to work on multi-component projects requiring planning and organizational skills
- Attention to detail
- Reasonable accommodations to these requirements will be made as needed.
- Work includes prolonged sitting, standing, stooping, bending, lifting/moving materials, getting down on the floor, as well as frequent computer use.
- Manual dexterity, clear speech, hearing acuity, and correctable vision are also required.
- Ability to navigate the building and community.
- Noise level is generally moderate.
- Employee must park in designated area.
- Scheduling may require availability during any library operating hours, including weekdays, evenings, weekends.
We seek those who share our passion for serving the people of Skokie. We strive to reflect our community through our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We strongly encourage people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities to apply. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Skokie is known for its diversity and is conveniently accessible from Chicago and surrounding neighborhoods. The Edens Expressway (I-94) spans Skokie's western edge, while Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) and PACE suburban bus lines and the CTA's Skokie Swift Yellow rail line offer numerous options for public transportation.
Please provide a cover letter when applying