Nature of Work
This position interacts directly with the public as well as with library staff to provide an excellent customer service experience. As a member of the New Lenox Public Library team, our values of accountability, initiative, teamwork, responsibility and teamwork are integral to daily success. This position will assist in providing lifelong education to all patrons, while specifically focusing on our teen population.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Bachelor's degree and relevant job experience
• Ability to work various hours including evenings and weekends with some flexibility
• Familiarity with both fiction and non-fiction literature for a teen and adult collection
• Desire to work as an effective team member
• Ability to provide research and computer assistance
• Capability to interact with persons of all ages in a positive manner, including the ability to communicate effectively electronically, in person, on the telephone, and in writing
• Flexible and adaptable to new experiences, concepts, and technology
• Access to transportation and ability to travel to local, state, regional and national meetings and conferences.
• Knowledge of digital services offered, such as Lynda.com, Novelist and First Search
• Familiarity with Illinois and Federal laws as they apply to public libraries including privacy and copyright
• Public library experience working with teens and tweens
Description of Duties
• Plan, implement, and coordinate classes, events, and room use for teens and adults
• Responsible for maintaining Teen Scene area
• Work with library team to plan Summer Learning Challenge for teens and adults
• Selection of teen and adult materials
• Communicate, partner, and engage with Youth Services in regards to other classes and events
• Assist with special large library events
• Schedule meeting room use for outside groups
• Coordinate volunteers
• Assist patrons of all ages with research assistance and computer help
• Participates on appropriate library committee(s)
• Attend workshops, meetings and seminars as required
• Attend outreach events as required
• Perform other duties as assigned
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently sit, stand, kneel, reach, and walk. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move equipment, etc., up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision and hearing abilities are required by this job.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by personnel assigned to this position.
Reports to: Head of Adult Services Department
Please send cover letter and resume to Amy Hollis, email@example.com