Children's Library Program Assistant
The Cook Memorial Public Library District is seeking a friendly, creative, customer-focused individual to provide patron service on behalf of the Children's Services Department at the Cook Park Library (Libertyville) and Aspen Drive Library (Vernon Hills)
Hours: Part-time (16 hours), including evenings and weekend rotation. Will include additional day and evening hours, as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides reference and readers' advisory services to patrons in person, on the telephone, and via electronic media (e.g. mail, instant messaging).
- Maintains knowledge of all genres of children's literature and its age appropriateness.
- Assists patrons in the use of electronic products, including the website, online catalog systems, downloadable materials, electronic databases, and handheld devices.
- Assists in planning and implementation of department programs and activities.
- Assists with administrative tasks such as creating inventories and lists of materials, preparing materials for programs, entering data, compiling statistics, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.A./B.S. degree
- Experience working with children in school, public library, or similar setting.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for offering programs and other services to children.
- Ability to communicate effectively with children and adults.
- Ability to use software programs to perform job responsibilities.
- Ability to use electronic resources and assist patrons in use of electronic resources.
- Reliable and willing to fill in extra hours, when necessary.
- Ability to work at both Cook Park Library and Aspen Drive Library locations.
- Ability to speak language(s) other than English is desirable, but not required.
Apply online at www.cooklib.org/jobs through Monday, March 26.