The River Forest Public Library is searching for an enthusiastic Materials Services Assistant IIs to join our team. The Materials Assistant II is a part-time position under the supervision of the Materials and Business Services Manager working in the Circulation Department.
Responsibilities include working with the Assistant Materials Services Manager and other staff members to provide library services to the public at the circulation services desk by:
- Understanding and responding to the needs of library patrons by providing courteous, knowledgeable assistance in all aspects of circulation, including checking in and checking out library materials, collecting fines, and handling renewals.
- Demonstrating effective communication skills in interpreting policies to the public.
- Checking the Circulation email, responding to patron requests, updating staff with information sent, and clearing the hold shelf.
- Balancing the cash register, entering totals in appropriate spreadsheets and replenishing cash in the register as needed.
- Searching for and placing holds on library materials.
- Issuing and renewing all library cards.
- Shelving all formats of library materials, shifting materials as necessary.
- Opening interlibrary loan bins, empties book drop(s).
- Assisting with meeting room setup including AV setup and takedown.
- Checking in materials; place items in transit/on hold for library patrons.
- Handling telephone inquiries and routes calls as appropriate.
- Going through the library stacks to retrieve items for patrons and staff.
- Sorting incoming mail and route to appropriate personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
1 weekday and 1 evening required. Weekend availability including, 2 Saturdays and 1 Sunday (September – May) per month required.
- High School Diploma is required.
- Cash handling experience is required.
- Computer literate and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to arrange alphabetically and numerically.
- Ability to reach, bend, lift and retrieve materials.
- Ability to show initiative, use good judgment in making decisions and exercise discretion with patrons and staff.
- Must be able to lift and carry at least 20 lbs. and push or pull carts loaded with library materials.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.