The Galesburg Public Library in Galesburg, Illinois seeks an organized communicator to be our Big Read coordinator.
The adult services librarian and Big Read coordinator provides customer service at the Reference Desk, orders and maintains a balanced collection of materials in specific subject areas, develops and presents the Big Read by applying for the grant and implementing it, runs programs, and coordinates our volunteer pool. This is an excellent opportunity for a recent MLS graduate with excellent organizational and time management skills.
The Galesburg Public Library has received a Big Read grant from the National Endowment for the Arts for 10 of the last 11 years. This year's Big Read of The Beautiful Things That Heaven Bears by Dinaw Mengestu is fully planned and begins April 2.
The Galesburg Public Library provides library service to the 32,000 residents of the City of Galesburg. Galesburg has both a rich history and a strong community-based vision for the future. Located in northwest central Illinois approximately 35 miles east of the Mississippi River, Galesburg is a vibrant city with the benefits a small town.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• MLS. Library experience preferred.
• Good communication skills, both oral and written.
• Good time management skills.
• Grant writing skills. Able to work within a budget.
• Strong knowledge of reference/reader's advisory skills.
• Working knowledge of computer applications for library services.
• Ability to comprehend customer needs quickly and accurately.
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff and public.
• Strong knowledge of research tools, including reference materials, databases and on-line catalogs.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, a current resume and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com or Jane Easterly, 40 E Simmons St, Galesburg IL 61401. Electronic applications preferred. Applications received by February 19 will receive first consideration.
Salary range is $18 to $28 per hour, based on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits.
Applications received by February 19 will receive first consideration.