POSITION TITLE: Library Reference Clerk
DEPARTMENT: Adult Services Department
REPORTS TO: Circulation/Cataloger Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non - Exempt
This is a part time position under the direction of the Supervisor. This position is responsible for providing reference service, reader's advisory, interlibrary loan services for adult and children. Additionally, this position may work with the Technology Coordinator to receive specialized training with library equipment. Work with staff from other departments as needed to provide quality service to the Library in conformance with Library policies and procedures and professional standards.
QUALIFICATIONS/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's Degree required, LTA certificate preferred
- Two (2) years of general clerical experience with customer service experience preferred
- Knowledge of and experience with general print reference materials, databases, and online resources.
- Must have extensive computer knowledge with MS programs; basic knowledge of electronic information resources including the internet and print reference sources.
- Ability to read and comprehend, in English, communicate in an effective manner both verbally and written with library patrons. Bi-lingual in Spanish a plus
- Part-time up to 20 hours a week; must be able to work daytime, evening, and weekend hours.
- Perform a variety of duties as a Reference Clerk; answer telephone calls, greet the public, and provides general information to library patrons in a polite and respectful manner.
- Assist with troubleshooting problems and training patrons in use of the public access catalog, Internet, and other electronic databases and library resources.
- Responsible for processing all incoming RAILS ILL materials for library patrons.
- Responsible for returning all RAILS ILL materials from other libraries.
- Maintain Hold shelf including calling patrons regarding their holds and removing expired holds.
- Maintain ILL files and supplies.
- Responsible for ILL/Reciprocal Borrowing bills between libraries as needed.
- Develop, schedule, present and evaluate programs and classes for the public.
- Assist with collection, development, selection and weeding in assigned areas of the adult non-fiction, fiction and reference collections.
- Attend workshops and meeting relevant to this position.
- Assist with covering Circulation desk on and as needed basis.
- Establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with co-workers and the public.
- Conduct all library business in a professional and cooperative manner
- Call patrons regarding overdue and holds.
- Assist with cleaning shelving of CDs/DVDs, magazines and newspapers when ILL work is completed for the day.
- Ensure that Interlibrary Loan and photocopy requests are filled in a timely and accurate fashion and maintain statistical records for photocopy requests.
- Create publicity or instructional pieces for electronic signage, brochures and instructional guidance materials for use by patrons.
- Perform other duties as may be directed by the Supervisor or Library Director.
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 lbs.
The North Chicago Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, military or veteran status (except dishonorable discharge), disability or any other status protected by law.
This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of the Library or its departments, employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of any of those described and duties are subject to change as requirements of the job change.
The omission of a duty does not exclude it from the position if the duty is similar, related or a logical expectation for an individual to perform as part of the job responsibilities or if necessary to assist the Library to provide services to the public under changed or unusual circumstances.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 3 OF THE FAIR LABOR STANDARD ACT THIS POSITION IS NON EXEMPT FROM OVERTIME.
To apply, email a resume and application to email@example.com or turn in at the circulation desk. The application can be found at the following url: