We're looking for a dynamic, creative and inspired individual to join our team in a newly-created role! Over the past few years our company has been making plenty of big, exciting changes: migrating to a new ILS platform (2015), moving to a shiny new office space (2016), and now working to add 19 new libraries to our membership (2017-2018). Are you a proven mentor who would love having your ideas and enthusiasm contribute to making SWAN better than ever? If so, please apply!
During a week in the life of a SWAN Assistant Director, you might be...
- Thinking about process evaluation and improvements of SWAN administrative functions and services, to ensure optimal operation of the consortium.
- Assisting the Executive Director in the development and implementation of the SWAN fiscal year budget.
- Helping to lead the SWAN Strategic Planning process.
- Working with accounting and operations to review and approve bills as necessary.
- Helping to lead the annual audit process and annual report preparation.
- Assisting the Executive Director in the development of SWAN policies and making recommendations for change as necessary.
- Assisting the Executive Director and Project Coordinator in planning, researching and developing major projects.
- Preparing reports, surveys and proposals for the Executive Director and SWAN Board.
- Presenting reports and updates to the SWAN membership at Quarterly meetings.
- Acting as SWAN's FOIA (Freedom of Information Officer) and OMA (Open Meetings Act) Officer.
- Assisting with the recruitment of SWAN staff, as a member of the leadership team.
- Training and evaluating your direct reports; you may fill in for these roles as interim departmental manager while vacant, until a replacement has been found, if needed.
- Working with the Library Relations Specialist and User Experience team to help develop marketing and public information efforts.
- Lending a hand with SWAN special events and public relations activities and representing SWAN at community and outside organizational functions.
- Participating in weekly SWAN management meetings, project calls, and other revolving appointments.
We're looking for a candidate who ideally has...
- An MLS from an ALA accredited graduate school, MBA, MPA or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least six (6) years of previous library experience.
- At least three (3) years of supervisory experience.
- At least two (2) years of computerized library systems/technology experience strongly preferred.
- Previous experience in developing budgets and overseeing accounts strongly preferred.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Occasional large and small group presentations will be required for this role.
- Ability to organize work, supervise management staff, develop individual talents, and support team cohesion.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and recommend solutions; takes a collaborative approach to problem solving, with the emphasis on building consensus, relationships, and results.
- Ability to thrive in a busy environment and deal well in the context of ambiguity.
- Ability and willingness to work varied hours, extended hours and to travel occasionally on behalf of SWAN.
- You must have the ability to input data, read computer screens and printed material, communicate effectively in-person, via phone, videoconferencing and e-mail, and operate office equipment.
- Primarily sedentary work, but also requires standing, walking, stooping or crouching, kneeling, reaching, pushing, grasping, lifting, feeling, hearing and talking.
SWAN (System Wide Automated Network) is a library consortium that has been serving Illinois libraries since 1974 and today has a membership of 78 libraries throughout the Chicagoland area. By consolidating services and collaborating together, the SWAN membership is able to promote:
- A shared online public access catalog with more than 8 million items available to patrons
- Centralized cataloging and software services that save library staff valuable time and money
- A unique collection of materials from public, college, and special libraries across Illinois
- 24/7 support to library staff—including IT, consulting, training, documentation, and tutorials
- Networking opportunities and knowledge/resource-sharing among the 2,000+ member library staff, as well as professional memberships to OCLC, COSUGI, and more
- Library accessibility through modern technology like Linked Data (making library catalog materials discoverable to the World Wide Web and search engines) and easy procurement of materials; patrons can receive a variety of alerts like email or SMS/text message notifications, in a variety of languages (English, Spanish, Polish, and more)
Please email a copy of your cover letter and resume to Brande Overbey, SWAN Operations Manager at email@example.com to be considered for this position.
SWAN will provide equal opportunity to all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, military status, marital status, order of protection status, genetic information, sexual orientation, transgender status, or any other category protected by law, in accordance with all applicable law.