Last updated: October 26, 2020
RAILS will use this Pulse Page to keep our members informed about the latest developments with COVID-19.
The Latest News
RAILS & RAILS Libraries
Reduction of Quarantine for items in RAILS delivery (updated 10/26/20)
Current Library Reopening Status Survey:
RAILS wants to help members keep up-to-date on other libraries' reopening plans. We will provide a reporting tool and service area map for you to review results and compare peer libraries beginning July 1. If/when your service offerings change, please fill out this form again. Only your most up-to-date information will display in the results.
RAILS Plans to Resume Delivery - June 2020 (updated 8/26/20)
RAILS members with delivery questions/concerns can email email@example.com. Send your message from the email address used for your Library Learning (L2) account to have it routed to the correct RAILS service center.
- RAILS (updated 8/26/20) Guidelines for Libraries Considering Curbside Service and/or Phased Reopening
- Initial guidance from RAILS' attorney on modified Stay at Home Order. This information is based on limited information that we will update once the final order is released. (4/24/20)
- The RAILS Burr Ridge service center will be closed until further notice. RAILS staff are working remotely. Find contact information for RAILS staff.
- Restore Illinois Phase 4 Guidelines Updated Mitigation Measures (October 2020)
- Updated guidance on OMA and FOIA during the COVID-19 Pandemic (7-2-20)
- Chicago And Illinois Plan To Move To Phase 4
- State of Illinois Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response Executive Orders
- FEMA Public Assistance Program Applicant Briefing published by IEMA
- Illinois Stay-at-Home Order and Libraries: ILA Statement on Governor Pritzker's "Restore Illinois" Plan (5/8/20)
- Illinois Five Phase Plan (5/5/20)
- Court Issues Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to Stop New Workers Compensation Rules (Municipal Minute) (4/24/20)
- Workers' Compensation New Rule for COVID-19 Claims (Municipal Minute) (4/14/20)
- Libraries and FEMA/IEMA Funding: Public Assistance (PA) FEMA funds via the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA). Public libraries and public library districts ARE eligible! Fact Sheet , Public Assistance Grant , Comprehensive information, Steps and Forms
- Launch of website dedicated to COVID-19 information at coronavirus.illinois.gov (3/19/20)
- COVID-19 Response by County
- Chicago COVID Resource Finder
- Illinois Department of Public Health website
- Illinois State Board of Education: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates And Resources
REALM Project update: Test 5 Results: Results and systematic literature review findings
REALM Project update: Test 4 Results: Results show that after six days of quarantine the SARS-CoV-2 virus was still detected on all five materials tested.
REALM Project update: Test 3 Results: Several types of plastic were included in this test.
REALM Project update: Test 2 Results: Natural attenuation as a decontamination approach for SARS-CoV-2 on five additional library materials (7-20-20)
REALM Project update: Test 1 Results: Natural attenuation as a decontamination approach for SARS-CoV-2 on five library materials (6-22-20)
Virus 'does not spread easily' from contaminated surfaces or animals, revised CDC website states, The Washington Post, (5/21/20)
IMLS/OCLC/Battelle: Launches new website, Reopening Archives, Libraries and Museums (REALM), a COVID-19 research project information hub(5/12/20)
Libraries Contemplate Re-Opening (PLA 4/27/20)
- Sample Mask Wearing Policy
- RAILS (UPDATED 8/26/20) Guidelines for Libraries Considering Curbside Service and/or Phased Reopening
RAILS is inviting libraries interested in using 3D printers to assist making PPE for health care facilities to add their information to the RAILS Libraries: 3D Printing for the Health Field spreadsheet. More information.
- 3D Printing for the Health Field & Libraries webinar held on 4/8/20, video recording
- Suggested Policy and Guidelines from HR Source
- Current Library Reopening Status Survey
- Essential Actions and Services During COVID-19 Survey:
Libraries are uniquely positioned to protect the health and safety of the residents of Illinois. In our effort to identify the essential services that libraries are providing through the COVID-19 crisis, please indicate the essential actions your library is performing during this period of general building closure by the governor's order. See results here.
- Virtual Services Survey:
Please supply us with information about what virtual services and programs your library is offering during building closure via our survey. See results here.
- RAILS Member COVID-19 Response Survey – all RAILS members are encouraged to complete this survey. See results here.
- The Impact of COVID-19 Related Closures on Library E-Content Usage
Discounts/Member Offers & Opportunities
- ConverSight LIBRO Curbside Pick Up - Curbside Service Software. Pricing and details are outlined on the RAILS Deals and Discounts page.
- Unique Curbside Communicator - Curbside Service Software. Pricing and details are outlined on the RAILS Deals and Discounts page.
- PPE and Protective Gear is available to order through Team One. As a federal government contractor, Team One has access to PPE products such as masks, gloves and a very unique kiosk from HP. Pricing and details are outlined in the RAILS Team One PPE brochure and on the RAILS Deals and Discounts page.
- Zoom - RAILS is offering networking groups the opportunity to have their own Zoom meeting license. RAILS has a limited number of licenses that can be used for networking groups that meet on a regular basis. Application for Zoom account.
- Many vendors and companies are offering free products or special pricing due to the impact of COVID-19. RAILS has compiled lists of free or deeply discounted e-content resources, free educational resources, and virtual tours/entertainment.
- RAILS also offers up to $500 per fiscal year of subsidized conference calling service to established member networking groups.
RAILS Member Updates
RAILS will offer regular member update sessions via Zoom as needed.
- RAILS Member Update - June 4, 2020 (YouTube) - Chat text (unedited)
- RAILS Special Member Update - April 16, 2020 (YouTube) - Chat text (unedited)
- RAILS Special Member Update - March 30, 2020 (YouTube)- Chat Text - Edited/Categorized
- RAILS Emergency Member Update - March 16, 2020 (YouTube) - Chat Text - Edited/Categorized
- RAILS will also offer other informational and networking events online. See Related Events listing below.
- RAILS will make recorded versions of these events available on the RAILS YouTube page as possible.
- Share your re-opening plans. Email your plans to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Essential Actions and Services During COVID-19 survey. See results here.
- Complete the Virtual Services and Programs survey. See result here.
- Post library policies related to COVID-19 in the Safety section of the online Library Policies Repository on the RAILS website.
- List of Library Reopening Plans
- Collection Toolkit from Canada Urban Libraries Council
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library COVID-19 Story Project
- Schaumburg Township District Library's notice of a confirmed COVID patron example (added 03/25/20)
- Gail Borden Public Library District's bilingual closure communication to library examples (added 03/25/20)
- Work from Home Activities & Resources for Library Workers - Started by Skokie Public Library (added 03/19/20)
- Coronavirus facts and more web page – Oak Park Public Library (added 3/11/20)
- Pandemic Response Procedures – Vernon Area Public Library District (added 3/11/20)
- Deep Cleaning List: The companies provided offer deep cleaning services. This list is for your convenience and not to be taken as an endorsement by RAILS.
- COVID-19: How Long Does the Coronavirus Last on Surfaces? (BBC)
COVID-19 PPE Donations (Americorps Illinois)
How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic (American Libraries)
Disinfecting Books and Other Collections -Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 (EPA)
Health Organizations: CDC/WHO
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- World Health Organization website
- OSHA Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19
- CDC Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers
- EEOC What You Should Know About COVID-19 and the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and Other EEO Laws
- EEOC GUIDANCE on the Impact of the ADA on COVID-19 Preventative Measures
- Academic Library Response to COVID-19 (Library Journal)
- Serving Patrons Experiencing Homelessness in a COVID-19 Shutdown (Programming Librarian)
- Illinois Municipal League: COVID-19 FAQs and Resources for Municipalities
- Conducting Board Meetings During a Shelter-in-Place Order (Illinois Heartland Library System)
- Social Distancing Guidelines at Work , Coronavirus Resources - SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management)
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL) - "School Librarian Role in Pandemic Learning Conditions"
- COVID-19 and CARLI: Latest Updates
- Institute of Museum and Library Services - COVID-19 Resources for Libraries and Museums
- American Libraries, "Reopening: Not 'When', but 'How'?" from 4/17/20
- Illinois Library Association - Coronavirus Resources – includes an FAQ on Libraries and the Coronavirus and other resources
- ALA Libraries Respond: COVID-19 Survey Results
- PLA: Public Libraries Respond to COVID-19: Survey of Response & Activities
- ALA Executive Board Recommends Closing Libraries to the Public (3/17/20)
- Teen COVID-19 Resource Guide
- Pandemic Resources for School Librarians
- Get Smart About COVID-19 Misinformation (News Literacy Project)
Rural Public WiFi Access Micro Grants from PLA and Microsoft: Available to public libraries serving rural communities
To Restore Civil Society, Start With the Library, (The New York Times article)