Last updated: June 1, 2020
RAILS will use this Pulse Page to keep our members informed about the latest developments with COVID-19.
The Latest News
RAILS & RAILS Libraries
RAILS delivery will not operate until further notice. RAILS members with delivery questions/concerns can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Send your message from the email address used for your Library Learning (L2) account to have it routed to the correct RAILS service center.
- RAILS Member Update, June 4, 2020, 1:00 p.m. Zoom meeting, register here.
- RAILS Reopening and Delivery Survey: RAILS is conducting a survey of all member libraries (academic, public, school, and special) to determine their plans for reopening and when/how libraries will be equipped to receive RAILS delivery as applicable. Survey runs now through May 21.
- IMLS COVID-19 Research Partnership Updates:
- RAILS (UPDATED 5/13/20) Guidelines for Libraries Considering Curbside Service and/or Phased Reopening May 2020
- Initial guidance from RAILS' attorney on modified Stay at Home Order. This information is based on limited information that we will update once the final order is released. (4/24/20)
- The RAILS Burr Ridge service center will be closed until further notice. RAILS staff are working remotely. Find contact information for RAILS staff.
- List of RAILS Library Closures
- Please update your library closing information as your plans change.
- Map of Illinois Public Library Closures
- Illinois Stay-at-Home Order and Libraries: ILA Statement on Governor Pritzker's "Restore Illinois" Plan (5/8/20)
- Illinois Five Phase Plan (5/5/20)
- Court Issues Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) to Stop New Workers Compensation Rules (Municipal Minute) (4/24/20)
- Gov. Pritzker Announces Modified Stay at Home Order Will Be Extended Through May to Continue Progress (4/23/20)
- Workers' Compensation New Rule for COVID-19 Claims (Municipal Minute) (4/14/20)
- Libraries and FEMA/IEMA Funding: Public Assistance (PA) FEMA funds via the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA). Public libraries and public library districts ARE eligible! Fact Sheet , Public Assistance Grant , Comprehensive information, Steps and Forms
- Pritzker set to extend stay-at-home order through April (Chicago Sun Times 3/31/20)
- Conducting Open Meetings during COVID-19 (Municipal Minute) (3/31/20)
- Details about the Governor's Shelter in Place Order (Municipal Minute) (3/23/20)
- Launch of website dedicated to COVID-19 information at coronavirus.illinois.gov (3/19/20)
- Pritzker authorizes remote meetings for local governments, public bodies (3/17/20)
- Guidance on OMA & FOIA (3/18/20)
- COVID-19 Response by County
REALM Project update: Round 1 material testing underway: Five items commonly found in public libraries have been selected for initial lab testing to determine the length of time the COVID-19 virus may live on the surface of these materials. Testing began May 13, 2020 using materials provided to Battelle by Columbus Metropolitan Library, and the results of this first round are expected to be released mid-June. For more information on this first round of testing and other activities, visit the project update page. For more on the scope, timeline, and committees involved with #REALMproject, visit oc.lc/realm-project.
Virus 'does not spread easily' from contaminated surfaces or animals, revised CDC website states, The Washington Post, (5/21/20)
IMLS/OCLC/Battelle: Launches new website, Reopening Archives, Libraries and Museums (REALM), a COVID-19 research project information hub(5/12/20)
Libraries Contemplate Re-Opening (PLA 4/27/20)
PLA: Public Libraries Respond to COVID-19: Survey of Response & Activities
- ALA Executive Board Recommends Closing Libraries to the Public (3/17/20)
- The Internet is drowning in COVID-19-related malware and phishing scams (3/17/20)
RAILS Minute - RAILS has launched a weekly video series, RAILS Minute, featuring RAILS Executive Director Deirdre Brennan. These brief videos will focus on how RAILS is responding to COVID-19 related library issues.
- Essential Actions and Services During COVID-19 Survey:
Libraries are uniquely positioned to protect the health and safety of the residents of Illinois. In our effort to identify the essential services that libraries are providing through the COVID-19 crisis, please indicate the essential actions your library is performing during this period of general building closure by the governor's order. See results here.
- Virtual Services Survey:
Please supply us with information about what virtual services and programs your library is offering during building closure via our survey. See results here.
PPE and Protective Gear is available to order through Team One. As a federal government contractor, Team One has access to PPE products such as masks, gloves and a very unique kiosk from HP. Pricing and details are outlined in the RAILS Team One PPE brochure and on the RAILS Deals and Discounts page.
RAILS (UPDATED 5/12/20) Guidelines for Libraries Considering Curbside Service and/or Phased Reopening April 2020
RAILS is inviting libraries interested in using 3D printers to assist making PPE for health care facilities to add their information to the RAILS Libraries: 3D Printing for the Health Field spreadsheet. More information.
- 3D Printing for the Health Field & Libraries webinar held on 4/8/20, video recording
- Deep Cleaning List: The companies provided offer deep cleaning services. This list is for your convenience and not to be taken as an endorsement by RAILS.
- Suggested Policy and Guidelines from HR Source
- Many vendors and companies are offering free products or special pricing due to the impact of COVID-19. RAILS has compiled lists of free or deeply discounted e-content resources, free educational resources, and virtual tours/entertainment.
- If your library is looking for options to meet remotely while staff are not physically coming to work, we suggest looking into Zoom (free tier is available with a 40-minute time limit for meetings), or Google Hangouts.
- RAILS also offers up to $500 per fiscal year of subsidized conference calling service to established member networking groups.
- RAILS is not able to provide Zoom or other web conferencing accounts to member libraries at this time. In the near future, we will begin offering web conferencing accounts to networking and continuing education groups and will provide more information on that when it is available.
- RAILS Member COVID-19 Response Survey – all RAILS members are encouraged to complete this survey. See results here.
RAILS Member Updates
Next RAILS Member Update June 4, 2020, 1:00 p.m. Zoom meeting, register here.
RAILS will offer regular member update sessions via Zoom as needed.
RAILS Special Member Update - April 16, 2020 - Chat text
- RAILS Special Member Update - March 30, 2020 (YouTube)- Chat Text - Edited/Categorized
- RAILS Emergency Member Update - March 16, 2020 (YouTube) - Chat Text - Edited/Categorized
- RAILS will also offer other informational and networking events online. See Related Events listing below.
- RAILS will make recorded versions of these events available on the RAILS YouTube page as possible.
- Share your re-opening plans. Email your plans to us at email@example.com.
- Complete the Essential Actions and Services During COVID-19 survey. See results here.
- Complete the Virtual Services and Programs survey. See result here.
- Report and update your library closing information on the RAILS website. Indicate that you are closing because of the Coronavirus.
- Post library policies related to COVID-19 in the Safety section of the online Library Policies Repository on the RAILS website.
- List of Library Reopening Plans
- Collection Toolkit from Canada Urban Libraries Council
- Arlington Heights Memorial Library COVID-19 Story Project
- Schaumburg Township District Library's notice of a confirmed COVID patron example (added 03/25/20)
- Gail Borden Public Library District's bilingual closure communication to library examples (added 03/25/20)
- Work from Home Activities & Resources for Library Workers - Started by Skokie Public Library (added 03/19/20)
- Coronavirus facts and more web page – Oak Park Public Library (added 3/11/20)
- Pandemic Response Procedures – Vernon Area Public Library District (added 3/11/20)
Rural Public WiFi Access Micro Grants from PLA and Microsoft: Available to public libraries serving rural communities
To Restore Civil Society, Start With the Library, (The New York Times article)
Disinfecting Books and Other Collections -Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC)
Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 (EPA)
Conducting Board Meetings During a Shelter-in-Place Order (Illinois Heartland Library System)
COVID-19 PPE Donations (Americorps Illinois)
How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic (American Libraries)
- Institute of Museum and Library Services - COVID-19 Resources for Libraries and Museums
- Illinois Library Association - Coronavirus Resources – includes an FAQ on Libraries and the Coronavirus and other resources
- Illinois Department of Public Health website
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- World Health Organization website
- Illinois Municipal League: COVID-19 FAQs and Resources for Municipalities
- Illinois State Board of Education: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates And Resources
- COVID-19 and CARLI: Latest Updates
- COVID-19: How Long Does the Coronavirus Last on Surfaces? (BBC)
- Serving Patrons Experiencing Homelessness in a COVID-19 Shutdown (Programming Librarian)
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe and Christine Wolff-Eisenberg Discuss Academic Library Response to COVID-19 (Library Journal)
- Get Smart About COVID-19 Misinformation (News Literacy Project)
- EEOC GUIDANCE on the Impact of the ADA on COVID-19 Preventative Measures