Last updated: April 7, 2020
RAILS will use this Pulse Page to keep our members informed about the latest developments with COVID-19.
The Latest News
RAILS & RAILS Libraries
RAILS delivery will not operate until further notice. RAILS members with delivery questions/concerns can email firstname.lastname@example.org. Send your message from the email address used for your Library Learning (L2) account to have it routed to the correct RAILS service center.
- Virtual Services Survey: Please supply us with information about what virtual services and programs your library is offering during building closure via our survey.
Virtual Services Survey Programming Results
- The RAILS Burr Ridge service center will be closed until further notice. RAILS staff are working remotely. Find contact information for RAILS staff.
- List of RAILS Library Closures
- Please update your library closing information as your plans change.
- Map of Illinois Public Library Closures
- Libraries and FEMA/IEMA Funding: Public Assistance (PA) FEMA funds via the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA). Public libraries and public library districts ARE eligible! Fact Sheet , Public Assistance Grant , Comprehensive information, Steps and Forms
- Pritzker set to extend stay-at-home order through April (Chicago Sun Times 3/31/20)
- Conducting Open Meetings during COVID-19 (Municipal Minute) (3/31/20)
- Details about the Governor's Shelter in Place Order (Municipal Minute) (3/23/20)
- Launch of website dedicated to COVID-19 information at coronavirus.illinois.gov (3/19/20)
- Pritzker authorizes remote meetings for local governments, public bodies (3/17/20)
- Guidance on OMA & FOIA (3/18/20)
- COVID-19 Response by County
- ALA Executive Board Recommends Closing Libraries to the Public (3/17/20)
- The Internet is drowning in COVID-19-related malware and phishing scams (3/17/20)
- Deep Cleaning List: The companies provided offer deep cleaning services. This list is for your convenience and not to be taken as an endorsement by RAILS.
- Suggested Policy and Guidelines from HR Source
- Many vendors and companies are offering free products or special pricing due to the impact of COVID-19. RAILS has compiled lists of free or deeply discounted e-content resources, free educational resources, and virtual tours/entertainment. Check back as we will be updating the lists frequently.
- If your library is looking for options to meet remotely while staff are not physically coming to work, we suggest looking into Zoom (free tier is available with a 40-minute time limit for meetings), or Google Hangouts.
- RAILS also offers up to $500 per fiscal year of subsidized conference calling service to established member networking groups.
- RAILS is not able to provide Zoom or other web conferencing accounts to member libraries at this time. In the near future, we will begin offering web conferencing accounts to networking and continuing education groups and will provide more information on that when it is available.
- RAILS Member COVID-19 Response Survey – all RAILS members are encouraged to complete this survey
- RAILS COVID-19 Survey Results
RAILS Member Updates
RAILS will offer regular member update sessions via Zoom as needed.
RAILS Special Member Update - March 30, 2020 - Chat Text - Edited/Categorized
- RAILS will also offer other informational and networking events online. See Related Events listing below.
- RAILS will make recorded versions of these events available on the RAILS YouTube page as possible.
- Please supply us with information about what virtual services and programs your library is offering during building closure via our survey.
RAILS Member Virtual Programming Results
- Report and update your library closing information on the RAILS website. Indicate that you are closing because of the Coronavirus.
- Post library policies related to COVID-19 in the Safety section of the online Library Policies Repository on the RAILS website.
- Schaumburg Township District Library's notice of a confirmed COVID patron example (added 03/25/20)
- Gail Borden Public Library District's bilingual closure communication to library examples (added 03/25/20)
- Work from Home Activities & Resources for Library Workers - Started by Skokie Public Library (added 03/19/20)
- Coronavirus facts and more web page – Oak Park Public Library (added 3/11/20)
- Pandemic Response Procedures – Vernon Area Public Library District (added 3/11/20)
COVID-19 PPE Donations (Americorps Illinois)
How to Sanitize Collections in a Pandemic (American Libraries)
- Institute of Museum and Library Services - COVID-19 Resources for Libraries and Museums
- Illinois Library Association - Coronavirus Resources – includes an FAQ on Libraries and the Coronavirus and other resources
- Illinois Department of Public Health website
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website
- World Health Organization website
- Illinois Municipal League: COVID-19 FAQs and Resources for Municipalities
- Illinois State Board of Education: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Updates And Resources
- COVID-19 and CARLI: Latest Updates
- COVID-19: How Long Does the Coronavirus Last on Surfaces? (BBC)
- Serving Patrons Experiencing Homelessness in a COVID-19 Shutdown (Programming Librarian)
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe and Christine Wolff-Eisenberg Discuss Academic Library Response to COVID-19 (Library Journal)
- Get Smart About COVID-19 Misinformation (News Literacy Project)
- EEOC GUIDANCE on the Impact of the ADA on COVID-19 Preventative Measures