Last updated: October 16, 2019
The 2020 Census is rapidly approaching and it will be very important for libraries to help maximize participation throughout Illinois. Our representation in Congress, as well as federal funding, including LSTA funding that supports library system delivery, shared catalogs, and per capita grants, depend on an accurate census count.
This page will help alert libraries to the latest census developments. RAILS will add additional resources as they become available, including information about upcoming training for libraries.
Libraries are invited to share their success stories promoting the census and any other comments below.
RAILS and IHLS library employees may subscribe and browse the discussion list archives from our Email Lists page. Login required to subscribe to the list or view message archives: Census 2020 Email List
RAILS Online Roundtables
RAILS offered two Online Roundtables this summer to help libraries learn more about the Census 2020. Access the recorded versions below:
- Illinois Complete Count Commission - Recommends strategies to avoid an undercount of the state's residents.
- Interim Report to the General Assembly (November 2018)
- Illinois Library Association, Census 2020 - ILA's list of census resources.
- American Library Association, 2020 Census - Information about the census' impact on libraries, and advocacy resources.
- United States Census Bureau, 2020 Census - Landing page for information about the decennial census.
- Matrix for Census Programming - Developed by the Vernon Area Public Library this template is for libraries to help get started on matching up audiences and programs.