Last updated: January 29, 2020
The 2020 Census is rapidly approaching and it will be very important for libraries to help maximize participation throughout Illinois. Our representation in Congress, as well as federal funding, including LSTA funding that supports library system delivery, shared catalogs, and per capita grants, depend on an accurate census count.
This page will help alert libraries to the latest census developments. RAILS will add additional resources as they become available, including information about upcoming training for libraries.
Libraries are invited to share their success stories promoting the census and any other comments below.
This toolkit will help libraries promote the census and the library's role in helping to assure a complete count. You'll find flyers and facts, promotional materials and instructional videos, and specific tools to reach the hard-to-count populations.
- RAILS Receives Census Grant from Pritzker Administration
- Press Release: State Approves Budget for Library System Census Grant
Are you wondering how your library can integrate the Census into your existing programming for young children? Download a printable Pre-K Storybook!
- Illinois Complete Count Commission - Recommends strategies to avoid an undercount of the state's residents.
- Interim Report to the General Assembly (November 2018)
- Illinois Library Association, Census 2020 - ILA's list of census resources.
- American Library Association, 2020 Census - Information about the census' impact on libraries, and advocacy resources.
- United States Census Bureau, 2020 Census - Landing page for information about the decennial census.
- Matrix for Census Programming - Developed by the Vernon Area Public Library this template is for libraries to help get started on matching up audiences and programs.
- Census Jobs Available! - Information about 2020 Census jobs and flyers available in English and Spanish.
- https://www.census.gov/library/video/2020/2020-census-psa-they-also-count.html Short 30 Second Census PSA to share on social media for the next several months.