This is a group for librarians and library staff who do preschool outreach programming, both including traditional preschool outreach services like story times for children 5 years old and under at preschools and day care centers, as well as other outreach services to the community involving preschool children.
Discussion topics include:
- Developing relationships with preschools, day cares and other community organizations
- Program planning - story time themes, favorite materials shared with different age groups, favorite diverse books
- Tips and tricks for the unique environment of preschool outreach (i.e. story time to infants when there is not the handy one-on-one format of an in-library lapsit story time, story time spaces, etc.)
- Programming for groups with second language learners, kids on the autism spectrum, kids with disabilities, or other unique programming considerations
- Equipment - Sharing successes with different types of equipment used for transport of programming supplies (bags, carts, electronics (speakers, tablets), flannel boards)
- Effective scheduling practices
- Other events and preschool outreach activities - Preschool Fairs, parent or teacher education sessions, summer reading program at preschools, 1000 Books Before Kindergarten at preschools, intergenerational story times, story times at shelters, outreach to incarcerated individuals with children, and anything else your library might offer or want to offer when it comes to outreach for early childhood.
We will meet quarterly. Our next meeting will be Monday, April 1 from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at Bloomingdale Public Library.
If interested in becoming a part of our group, please subscribe by sending a message to email@example.com, then you may subsequently post to firstname.lastname@example.org.