RAILS Board Portal - About RAILS
The Reaching Across Illinois Library System was formed in 2011, through a merger of the Alliance, DuPage, Metropolitan, North Suburban, and Prairie Area library systems.
Library systems are established by state law (75 ILCS 10/, the Illinois Library System Act). Funding for Illinois Library Systems is provided through the Illinois State Library and the Secretary of State, with funds appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly.
- RAILS Strategic Plan (including Mission and Vision Statements)
RAILS Member Libraries
RAILS serves approximately 1300 private, public, school, and academic library members, which include more than 4200 library facilities in a 27,000 square mile area in north/north-central Illinois.
RAILS members include:
- 116 Academic libraries (9%)
- 412 Public libraries (32%)
- 558 School libraries (44%)
- 182 Special libraries (14%)
May not add to 100% due to rounding
Resource Sharing Map
The State of Resource Sharing in RAILS map shows membership in system-supported shared catalogs, as well as areas without public library service.
RAILS provides a number of services and programs to our member libraries, including:
- Continuing education
- Catalog support
- Resource-sharing initiatives, such as Find More Illinois and Explore More Illinois
- Discounts and group purchases
- Grants for continuing education events and for collaborative projects
- Networking opportunities