Library Learning (L2) : Account Creation and Maintenance
To Create a New Account
If you do not have a user account on the Library Learning website, you can create one through the site's registration form: Create New L2 Account.
Instruction Sheets (PDF files):
Notes about L2 account creation:
- If you are unsure whether you have an L2 account, ask a co-worker to check for you. Anyone who is logged in can click the "Libraries" link at the top of the L2 screen, and then the "Find Colleagues" link in the left sidebar to search for people in L2.
- If you already have an L2 account, and have changed libraries, do not create another account. Log into your existing account and update your profile with your new position, email address, etc. If you are unable to log into your existing L2 account, see the "Forget Your L2 Password?" section below.
- An L2 account needs to be affiliated with a RAILS member library (employee or trustee) for the login to work on the RAILS website.
- New accounts for people who work at (or are on the board of) a RAILS member library need to be confirmed by RAILS.
- Confirmation proceeds more quickly if the new account is registered with an email address at the library's own domain name (email@example.com), and if the person is listed as a staff or board member on the library's website.
- If you are a library director, but cannot check the "Director" position on the account registration form because it is grayed out, the previous director is probably still listed for your library. For assistance, contact RAILS Communications (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can check who is listed as the director at a library agency's primary building with the search form below.
To Update Your L2 Profile
You can update your library affiliation, position, email address, and other information by editing your L2 profile. After logging into L2, click your name at the top of the screen, then "Edit Profile" in the right sidebar.
You will be provided with options to edit your basic L2 user profile, change your password, add or remove library affiliations, and add or change your social-networking information (Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.) and L2 avatar image.
If you are unable to log into your L2 account, see the "Forget Your L2 Password?" section below.
Forget Your L2 Password?
If you know that you have an L2 account, but have forgotten your password:
- Use L2's password reminder form, entering the email address associated with your L2 account. L2 will email your password to you.
- If that does not work (e.g., you no longer have or have forgotten that email address), contact Brian Smith at RAILS (email@example.com).
Library Director Search
This tool looks up who is listed as library agency director for RAILS libraries.
The library agency director is the person that L2 lists in the "Director" position at the member library agency's primary building. (The Illinois State Library requires that a primary building be designated for each member of the library system.)