JOB SUMMARY: Under the direct supervision of the Popular Services Manager and the general direction of the Library Director, this position coordinates Marketing and Outreach efforts to the Joliet community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Achieve frequent, timely and positive media coverage by executing media relations strategies to promote the library’s programs and services, including writing press releases, pitching story ideas, organizing press kits and arranging interviews with JPL staff as needed.
- Develop media contacts and relationships.
- Write online monthly newsletter.
- Maintain social media sites and update website on a consistent basis.
- Create eye catching promtional materials, including fliers, posters, and brochures to promote library programs and services.
- Submit press releases and marketing materials to online media publications including eScene, Trib Local and Times Weekly.
- As Chair of Marketing Committee, conduct periodic marketing meetings to discuss tactics and opportunities; submit and oversee marketing budget.
- Coordinate outreach efforts to the Joliet community to encourage appreciation and use of the library.
- Conduct community presentations at colleges, civic, and corporate sectors to generate publicity and to promote the brand and mission of the library.
- Represent the library at various community meetings and events such as the annual Chamber of Commerve Business Expo.
- Conduct periodic surveys including but limited to annual output measures and customer satisfaction surveys.
- Conduct individual and group tours of the library.
- Establish mututally beneficial partnerships with private, non-profit, education, and corporate sectors for the purpose of developing community wide initiatives and events as appropriate to the library mission.
- Serve as liason at community meetings and functions.
- Provide partnership opportunities to businesses through sponsorship. Assist in the funding of special events/programs as needed.
- Maintain relationship with the Friends of the Joliet Public Library including submitting funding requests and writing follow up on results of how the money was used to benefit the library.
- Attend monthly Supervisors meeting
- As Chair of Programming Committee, conduct periodic meetings to discuss potential adult program ideas.
- Write monthly board report.
- Assist in writing policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned which will promote library services to the people of Joliet
- BA in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field.
- Available to work evenings and weekends.
- Ability to effectively communicate with peers and community members of all ages, ethnic, educational, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to attend functions outside of the library; proof of insurance will be required.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with desktop publishing software.
PREFERRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED SKILLS
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience using Microsoft Publisher, Front Page.
- Experience using Apple iLife or other video editing software.
- Exeperience using Drupal.
- Familiarity with public libraries and their mission to the community.
- Prior marketing or public relations experience.
- Accountable for a cooperative and united outreach effort into the Joliet community, organizations, and institutions.
- Accountable for working cooperatively with staff in an honest, objective, and supportive manner.
- Accountable for following library policy, rules of conduct, and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSCIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in an office setting with minimal exposure to health or safety hazards. Substantial time is spent working on a computer. This is sedentary work which requires the following physical activities: sitting, walking, bending, stooping, reaching above shoulder height, finger dexterity, repetitive motions, talking, hearing and visual acuity.