Governors State University seeks a library professional to serve as liaison to programs in the health sciences or sciences on a one-year, Visiting Professor, appointment. This person works closely with program faculty and librarians to bring the collections in the specific area up-to-date; selects, weeds, develops and analyzes library materials in assigned program areas, provides subject expertise for reference questions that fall in the subject area; and provides individual and group instruction on information literacy for students and faculty in these program areas. The work schedule consists of regularly scheduled hours at the Reference Desk, including evenings and weekends. This person also provides reference service and instruction on general topics; develops and maintains digital subject guides and tutorials as assigned for the library website; and attends library and other appropriate meetings, as well as other duties as assigned. This position may also provide support for the University Archives.
Governors State University is the only regional, public, comprehensive university in Chicago's south suburban area, serving approximately 7,750 students. GSU provides affordable and accessible undergraduate and graduate education to culturally and economically diverse students with undergraduate tuition that is the most affordable in the state.
Established in 1969, GSU emphasizes excellence, access, and innovation. Students benefit from the university's high academic quality, range of convenient class times, increasing hybrid and online offerings, and outstanding educational value. GSU seeks to become a national leader in successful transfer of community college students to universities and recently introduced the Dual Degree Program with features such as tuition lock-in at GSU for academically eligible community college students who commit to earn an Associate Degree and attend college full-time. GSU offers several applied doctoral degrees in health and counseling fields and is planning to launch an Ed.D. in Leadership in 2012.
The campus is conveniently located within easy reach by road and rail to Chicago and surrounding communities with a wealth of cultural and natural attractions. The region has a number of high performing schools and engaged communities.
- An ALA-accredited Master of Library and Information Studies is required for this tenure-track library faculty position;
- Experience and/or degree in the subject areas of the health sciences or sciences required;
- Experience providing reference service including in the digital and web environment;
- Experience providing information literacy instruction;
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to move seamlessly from the professional environment to the teaching/learning arena, and to write, speak, and teach effectively;
- Ability to work collaboratively with teaching faculty, library faculty & staff, students, staff & administrators and community users in a diverse academic environment.
A complete application will include a cover letter and resume, as well as a list of three to five professional references, including name, address, phone number, and email address. References will not be contacted without prior notice.
Be a part of a leading Illinois education institution that emphasizes accessibility, diversity, teaching, research and scholarship. To learn more about this position and to apply, go to: http://employment.govst.edu. EEO/AA